Sportback Question

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Why do they call it the "Sportback"?

I mean, ok, it's a smart looking car, but never in a million years is it sporty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I remember in some articles reading it had a 'coupe' like profile!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I think the 'sporty' reference comes from the marketing hype. It's marketed as a sporty looking funky 'lifestyle' estate for sporty funky types - if that makes any sense!!!!

The brochure has young people with surf boards in it.

Think they wanted to show it as a distinct model to the A3 3 dr this time so gave it a different name and marketed at those who needed a larger (all 8cm!) more practical A3 for their sporty (surfing) funky (LOL) lifestyles!

Sporty Spice was never sporty but that didn't stop the Spice Girls being one of the most successful girl bands of all time??????? (not sure what the moral of the story is) maybe thats what Audi were thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silly name really. Personally would have preferred it to be the A3 Avant.

I've seen it referred to as a "lifestyle estate"!

WTF that is I'll never know - but apparently its supposed to appeal to the 28 - 40 year old bracket with 0 - 1 kids!

Thats me then!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Agree on A3 Avant - thats a cool name for it. It looks like a small A4 Avant anyway, especially with the roof rails.

One Team

Audi would have had difficulty using the 'Avant' term,as it's clearly not designed in the same vein as an Avant.

An Avant's rear is a conventional estate shape,whereas the 'sportback' is quite steeply raked.

I don't really see they felt the need to give it a name at all actually.

I'd have been quite happy to just call it the 5 door A3.

In fact,I rarely (if ever) call it a sportback when I'm asked what I drive.

I just say "5 door A3".

[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the name except when I'm giving it the 'full spec' title - Sportback Sport - now that does sound daft (compared to Sporback SE or something) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That puts me in mind of the Ford marketing department in its 1970s heyday. First they made the Granada Ghia. Then they topped that with the Granada Ghia X. Then, in a desperate attempt to get people to pay yet another few quid for horrible plastic wood, they announced......

...wait for it......

The Granada Ghia X Executive!!

Did I mention the Ghia X Executive Injection?

Re showing my age, I am officially the fat old man of this forum. If you don't believe me, ask Kevint.

I think that must make two of us ! 59 in December and around 100kg.

Well you got me beat on age but I'm the winner on weight 107kg - far too much time spent in the gym /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shouldn't you be driven an A8 if you're 59, Dave?!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One Team

I thought time in the gym was supposed to make to loose weight !

In that case I think I'll stick to 'disagreeing' with Bowfer.

[ QUOTE ]
Did I mention the Ghia X Executive Injection?

Re showing my age, I am officially the fat old man of this forum. If you don't believe me, ask Kevint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get your sights down to the meet section and add your name - old man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kev.

Only 44, but 118kg. My alternative career is as Homer Simpson's body double.

Can't do any meets just now. Too much other stuff going on