Oil Pump Balance Shaft Fitting Advice 2.0 Tdi 170BHP

BroomeyS3

Reaction score
I am currently thinking about replacing the oil pump balance shaft on my 07 A4 2.0tdi Avant 170bhp to the uprated version on sale by several companies on the net. The reason I am thinking about doing this is because my car needs a new turbo fitting and has done 84k miles so I suspect the hex drive key is worn and lowering the oil pressure. I have not had any warning lights on the dash and the engine isn't making any rattling noises etc... so its more preventative work than anything.
I've got all the kit to drop the sump and remove the oil pump to get at the balance shaft so I can send it off for machining. I have found several companies on the net offering the remanufacture service and wondered if anyone had used any of them. There seems to be a big difference in price.. see below..

Power Max Engineering Ltd: £355
KMD Parts Direct £225
Ring Engineering UK £220

Any top tips would be much appreciated partically on refitting the pump and aligning it. I've got most info in my worksop manual on how to do this but would be great to have it clarified. I know you need a special tool that Sealey sell.

I will be uploading pictures of start to finish.

Tom

I used KMD Sheffield, can't fault the service £225 + £100 refundable deposit when you send back your old unit.

Mine was done as a preventative measure, Hex key was well worn at 80k

For the extra cost involved I would recommend you get the bearing shells replaced ( if necessary ) while your at it..........

I will give it a good check and see if needed... hopefully not

Just performed this job on my own car 2 weeks ago.

I live very near Powermax but decided not to use their services based on price and the fact they use the standard 77mm HEX key - KMB come in a lot cheaper and use the later 100mm key. Refurbished shaft from them looked great.

Stripped my Dads this weekend to give us peace of mind it wasn't going to fail any time soon .. it's a 170 BRD Quattro avant and it turned out at some time... we think 2 years ago as there's a date engraved on the oil pump that it's had a complete balance shaft assembly delete.... no balance shafts anywhere to be seen just a chain drive down to what looks like a 1.8t or 2.0 TFsi oil pump.... not sure what it would cost for such a mod and it no doubt entails changing the cambelt at the same time but reading up it seems it's all win win to remove it other than a slightly rougher Idle... be we never noticed anything about the idle, it seems fine to us... removing the shafts gives a bit better throttle response as there's less weight to turn and you also end up with a little more oil in your sump as it's not displaced by the assembly so your oil runs cooler and last's longer...all in all quite happy even if it was a pain to do :)

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/216810-sump-removal-2-0tdi.html

I have done the balance shaft delete on a vw bkp engine and it runs great.
I know this guy deletes them on his recon units.
Home - AW ENGINEERING
Maybe you have a recon engine,or one repaired by the same guy.