Windows 8.1

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Windows feking 8.1! So finally got round to setting my new laptop, all was working fine yesterday, but today, it's decided to not let me use the internet, despite it showing as connected(I'm sitting next to the router) and diagnostics is all clear!

After almost 2hrs, I could get google to open on the page, but I needed to type in the https bit in the address bar, starting with www. doesn't work!

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know, before I smash the whole thing up! :mad:

Option 2 is to restart the whole setup process again.

Browser???

I switched to Google Chrome after about a day of giving IE a chance. I'm running Win 8.1 on Parallels on a MacBook Pro and it seems to run fine.

First thing I'd be checking are security / privacy settings to make sure they're not 'nanny state', then doing a re-install of the browser if those look 'OK' (e.g. safe).

Are you getting e-mails, as if it's purely browser based focus there. If you're not getting mail either I'd revert to looking at router / network settings.

I thought Win8 /8.1 was supposed to move the game on. I don't really like it at all (and I'm 3 months in to using it). I still use it in Windows 7 look (rather than tablet dash style).

Jo are you working on Wifi or Cable??

If its wifi, try forgetting the connection and reconnecting to it to see if that does anything.

I have W8 on my works laptop, its not great and i much prefer W7, i just cannot get used to it!!

If it's only happening with IE then first try resetting it......... IE tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset

If that doesn't work or it's happening with all browsers then try resetting TCP/IP:

1) Open command prompt (type CMD in seach and run it)

2) Type netsh int ip reset

3) Restart you laptop

Try browsing the internet again.

Browser???

I switched to Google Chrome after about a day of giving IE a chance. I'm running Win 8.1 on Parallels on a MacBook Pro and it seems to run fine.

First thing I'd be checking are security / privacy settings to make sure they're not 'nanny state', then doing a re-install of the browser if those look 'OK' (e.g. safe).

Are you getting e-mails, as if it's purely browser based focus there. If you're not getting mail either I'd revert to looking at router / network settings.

I thought Win8 /8.1 was supposed to move the game on. I don't really like it at all (and I'm 3 months in to using it). I still use it in Windows 7 look (rather than tablet dash style).

The first thing I did was download Mozilla Firefox Warren, but the issue is there with both Firefox and IE.

Jo are you working on Wifi or Cable??

If its wifi, try forgetting the connection and reconnecting to it to see if that does anything.

I have W8 on my works laptop, its not great and i much prefer W7, i just cannot get used to it!!

Wifi Nilz, tried the connection thing, even tried the flush DNS.

If it's only happening with IE then first try resetting it......... IE tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset

If that doesn't work or it's happening with all browsers then try resetting TCP/IP:

1) Open command prompt (type CMD in seach and run it)

2) Type netsh int ip reset

3) Restart you laptop

Try browsing the internet again.

I'll give it a try when I get home, gave up after 2hours, even Dropbox isn't working. I removed the firewall for 15 minutes also, no joy.

On the bottom right, it shows connected, and I created the thread on my ipad using the same connection, so it isn't that?

There is an easy and perfect solution to cure all computer problems. its a little thing called GAU 8 Avenger.
Just put your computer someone isolated and then activate.:rock:

GAU-8 Avenger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you have access to one of these Paul, I will happily donate a working laptop(not my new one! Lol), for you to blow away! :laugh:

So hard to find things on 8 been prompted to upgrade to 8.1 a few days now, i think i will wait...:icon_thumright:

Dave, the upgrade to 8.1 makes things a lot easier. It run a lot smoother. :) x

Still getting wood over guns. Nothing changes here. Just tell me how is that helpful or relevant Mr Moderator?

What's up, had a sense of humour bypass? Still using terms from 1970's adult films though I see.

Here is some things you could have a go at, try turning it off and rebooting, mine does it every couple of weeks, it can find my remote VPN but not my internet connections, which is on right next to me. I restart the pc and all is fine.
If you have just started to set up your laptop make sure you have the WiFi password typed correctly, mine is a right sod to get right as its various upper and lower case, and sometimes after an update it resets the password so I have to enter it again.
You could always try rebooting the router.
Do you have an external wireless switch on your laptop, have you knocked it by accident, is it switched on?
Is your laptop in flight mode?
Is your network adaptor in your laptop compatible, Wireless G / Wireless N for instance?
Is your router set to broadcast its ID?
Is your wireless adaptor in monitor mode?

@ Nilz, low post count, didn't like me 2 years ago, hasn't posted for 13 months and comes on here for help and advice.

Reactions: Nilz and jojo
Here is some things you could have a go at, try turning it off and rebooting, mine does it every couple of weeks, it can find my remote VPN but not my internet connections, which is on right next to me. I restart the pc and all is fine.
If you have just started to set up your laptop make sure you have the WiFi password typed correctly, mine is a right sod to get right as its various upper and lower case, and sometimes after an update it resets the password so I have to enter it again.
You could always try rebooting the router.
Do you have an external wireless switch on your laptop, have you knocked it by accident, is it switched on?
Is your laptop in flight mode?
Is your network adaptor in your laptop compatible, Wireless G / Wireless N for instance?
Is your router set to broadcast its ID?
Is your wireless adaptor in monitor mode?

As I did a full reinstall, it seems to have fixed the problem Paul, I only did the install on Sunday, so nothing lost at all.

But to answer the above anyways, the first thing I did was reboot the laptop, no joy. My ipad and phone are working, but I rebooted the router anyways, no joy. Back to the lappy, flicked the fight mod on and back off, disconnect from the wifi and reconnect, redoing the password, no help. Basically, the laptop was connecting to the wifi, but not letting me use the internet, and I haven't touched anything 'settings' related since the install.

It's all working now, it's obvious Windows 8.1 is optimised for touch screen devices, but I'm slowly figuring out how to use it. Using the touchpad is hard work though, definitely needs a mouse.

Whilst I was working in IT windows 8 had arrived on the scene but I wasn't keen as although it does run well the interface was rubbish and as Jojo says its aimed at touch devices.

So I have stuck with Win7 which I feel is the next best thing since XP. But when I have had to use Win8 pooters (people buying new laptops etc) I have used this tool Download StartW8 1.2.44.0 - FileHippo.com as it sorta gets rid of the stupid new start interface and makes Win8 work a lot more like Win 7 with a start button etc.

Reactions: jojo and sidibear
Whilst I was working in IT windows 8 had arrived on the scene but I wasn't keen as although it does run well the interface was rubbish and as Jojo says its aimed at touch devices.

So I have stuck with Win7 which I feel is the next best thing since XP. But when I have had to use Win8 pooters (people buying new laptops etc) I have used this tool Download StartW8 1.2.44.0 - FileHippo.com as it sorta gets rid of the stupid new start interface and makes Win8 work a lot more like Win 7 with a start button etc.

On Windows 8.1, there's an option to switch the appearance to 'Classic', which reverts the whole OS to Windows 7 style, not tried it yet, as I'm at work, but sounds promising.

On Windows 8.1, there's an option to switch the appearance to 'Classic', which reverts the whole OS to Windows 7 style, not tried it yet, as I'm at work, but sounds promising.

I was under the impression this wasn't available in win 8 but found this to show some things can be changed Change Windows to Classic view

Or you can download a classic shell after reading this thread Solved Classic Theme on Windows 8

I have tried the StartW8 tool and it was a good compromise. Personally I am sticking with Win 7 for now :)

Reactions: jojo