Rear wiper stuck and won't move

heap1000

Reaction score
Popped my car into reverse and the rear wiper set off but then got stuck in the middle. When I move the stalk nothing happens the only thing I can get it to do is spray water.
I slammed my boot and when I started my car again the wiper moved back. I tried the wiper again and it got stuck again in the middle. Slammed my boot again and it has moved again.

I am guessing that the slamming of the boot is doing something but I am not sure what.

Any ideas guys?

Happened to me on tdi a3, got worse and worse before getting stuck upwards at about a 20 degree angle. Took it to audi - new wiper motor, apparently caused by previous owner fitting HID's (they found the ballasts screwed inside the engine bay but disconnected).

We're yours the front wipers or did the HIDs effect your rear wiper too?

Rear wiper. Apparently the rear wiper earth is on the same circuit as HID's.

Well more does not have HIDs. How much does it cost for a new motor?

Is there any videos on how to replace the rear wiper motor?

The rear wiper is easy to replace. Just remove the plastic trims in the tailgate and you'll see the motor clearly. It's just a couple of torx screws in the main part and the rest around the top just pull off.

My rear wiper was stuck up too. Took the motor off, removed the cover cleaned all the rusty old grease out, freed up the mechanic, regressed it, reassembled and refitted and it's worked since. Cost about an hour of my time and a bit of grease.

Reactions: Boydie and Whodafunk
Easy job.

First remove the wiper – you need to remove the retaining nut and will then need a wiper puller – around £6 ebay. You also need to carefully remove the push-fit jet to reuse on the new motor.

Second you need to remove the motor. On my Sportback there were two screws in the handle area, holding the rear tailgate panel. The whole panel then just comes free with a sharp tug being held in place by metal arrow-shaped prongs going into holes. Be careful to reposition any of the prongs when refitting as they can fall out. The motor is held in place with two or three 13mm nuts (from memory). You also need to disconnect the plug and water pipe.

Fitting is the reversal of the above. The problem is that the seal between the water conduit through the centre spindle starts to leak with age with water escaping into the mechanism.

I did a video on this and how to fix it. Basically the cogs seize up with rust...

Reactions: Simon50s and __Nazia__
I did a video on this and how to fix it. Basically the cogs seize up with rust...

Just wanted to say thank you for making this video. Had this problem with rear wiper on missus audi A3 8v but followed the method here... it’s almost identical, main difference being the wiper motor once out has 6 t15 screws instead of 5 and before you can remove the main cogs that are clogged up you have to remove a plastic trim from where the washer hose pipe connects to the motor. Wd40, apple cider vinegar and wire brush/wool got it moving again.

Don’t know why audi just don’t keep the washer jet and wiper arm motor entirely separate which would stop the ingress and mess into the mechanism in the first place... but that’s another topic.