AUX?

Brennan

Former Audi Driver
Reaction score
The B8 A4 im looking to buy is, i believe, build April 08. Is it true these dont have AUX-in or does all B8s have it?

The B8 A4 im looking to buy is, i believe, build April 08. Is it true these dont have AUX-in or does all B8s have it?

Depends on AMI I think. If you have AMI there's no Aux as you can have either or, not both. If you have infotainment / radio then I think you do have the Aux in the armrest. I have AMI in the glovebox / MMI and have no Aux in the armrest.

I noticed that this A4 has a roof shark fin aerial, does that make a difference?

sorry n00b here lol what is AMI?

Audi Media Interface - socket that lives in the glovebox (on the A4) and allows different adapter cables for media input to be attached - iPod, USB, or analogue 3.55 jack etc. Only one type of interface at a time though.

I have an AUX input under the arm rest!

You can get a hell of a lot of music on an SD card.........

You can get a hell of a lot of music on an SD card.........
Exactly...

Still the AMI is great specialy if you have an ipod. When buying a car it cost an extra 290€ I am gonna ask monday how much it will cost as a retrofit

My old 2010 car had just one SD slot (and the aux), the 2013 car has 2 SD slots and a 3000 track hard drive! Plus bluetooth music connectivity and some weird wifi hotspot black magic......

Only if you buy it with Navigation Plus otherwise you only get the 2sd card slots and aux.

The idea of having 2sd is to install the maps on one of them

What year and month is your b8 point_audi?

Mines a 2010 model Brennan!.. I don't particularly use the AUX that much either tbh, I use a 32GB SD card for my music.

But the other half would use it for her iPhone!

Yeah see this one I'm lookin at is a 2008 model, must be the first of the new b8s. Nobody can give me a definite answer if the 08 has aux :(

Well thats disappointing. If an 09 S4, which is basically top of the line, doesnt have Aux then an Exec SE definitely wont :(

What is your radio/CD system? Is it concert or symphony?

The system in my S4 is listed as '2G High MMI Infotainment' with 6 disc changer and B&O peakers, i.e. all selection of radio station/cd disc, tracks, Sat Nav, Lighting, etc is done through the centre consul controls. Hope this answers your question?

Well thats disappointing. If an 09 S4, which is basically top of the line, doesnt have Aux then an Exec SE definitely wont :(

I think they lose the aux in and gain other means of audio in. Like the multifunction plug in the glovebox for instance.

I think they lose the aux in and gain other means of audio in. Like the multifunction plug in the glovebox for instance.

Yeah, that's correct. I should have mentioned the glovebox facility. It's handy but you need specific cables for specific purposes and they're not cheap from Audi.

Not necessarily - the A4 is option central. It didn't occur to me to look to see if mine had a glovebox light -it has MMI 3G HDD Nav with AMI but no glovebox light or active door warning lights. Your best bet is to ask the seller or look when you test drive it. You are going to test drive it?

The Aux adapter connects to same plug on the head unit that the AMI would, that's why it's either or. If you are going for an SE Exec it's likely to have a Symphony head unit (unless it has a flavour of Sat Nav) and Bluetooth, it could have the Can bus AMI or Aux or neither. My advice is to look.

ok guys so i looked in the car today, definitely no AUX port in the armrest, only a A/C port. The car has an Audi Concert Radio/CD player, although it has the roof fin

I looked in the glovebox briefly and didnt see anything that resembled an ipod connector, even if it did it would be useless anyway as i have the iphone 5s with the new lightning connection on the bottom of it

I really want AUX-in, I am disappointed that a premium car doesnt even have this simple connection when many cheaper/lesser cars have.

What are my options before i admit defeat and resort to buying am FM Transmitter?

ok guys so i looked in the car today, definitely no AUX port in the armrest, only a A/C port. The car has an Audi Concert Radio/CD player, although it has the roof fin

I looked in the glovebox briefly and didnt see anything that resembled an ipod connector, even if it did it would be useless anyway as i have the iphone 5s with the new lightning connection on the bottom of it

I really want AUX-in, I am disappointed that a premium car doesnt even have this simple connection when many cheaper/lesser cars have.

What are my options before i admit defeat and resort to buying am FM Transmitter?

In most cases you would need to swap out the head unit to get AMI or Aux In if it's not fitted from the factory. I did see this German site though that seems to offer a complete Aux In retrofit kit for €39

AUX-IN Radio Concert/Symphony - Retrofit - Audi - A4 / S4 8K - Need4Street Automotive GmbH

It will need coded with VCDS to enable it. Might be worth pinging them an email to make sure it would work with your car / head unit