Is it cheaper oop North ?

Taxboy

Reaction score
Just wondered if this is an urban myth or whether used cars are cheaper to buy the further away from the capital

Another no, it's just colder, wetter, and the people are friendlier!

Reactions: JJWin and CHEZ
Perhaps that friendliness can be translated into getting more money off........... or perhaps not !!!!!!

Hit and miss really. I think you just have to keep scanning and wait to find one that's been 'fairly' priced. As to where that will be is the lottery!

Reactions: Sandra
I find my cheap bargains are always down south, tight asses down here, not much deals to be had, start them high then knock a quid off, hehe.

I'd imagine if it's somewhere well out the way you could use it as a bargaining tool, I'm talking middle of nowhere though.

I think that that is a generalisation, choice and availability is better "down south" - so that will drive prices down, even although the bulk of the population is "down south". There will always be HOT spots and COLD spots, up here in central Scotland, Edinburgh prices are very high and Glasgow prices are lower - due to Glasgow people being "looser" with their money (tight wads in Edinburgh), Newcastle is also roughly same as Glasgow. Aberdeen, with oil money will always be dearer, though it really depends what models/marques and which sector of the car market you are meaning. Put it this way, when I was looking for a secondhand B8 S4, it was well down south that most were located, though maybe in just 3 or 4 areas. Anything near Birmingham and outside the Audi network was cheapish or down right cheap and so very suspect Pennine Motor House especially - I think "BEWARE" is the term I'd use there!

I find it depends how far south you go - I'm in south Devon, and prices for just about everything are higher by up to around 30% (especially on cars) but the average wage is significantly lower - work that one out....
I never look below Bristol when I'm car hunting, price hike just isn't worth it...