Do 94Y v 94Y tyres handle differently?

Rfmacaskill

Reaction score
So I've got 2 x 91Y Goodyear asy 2 tyres on the front and one is needing changed. I'm told 'they' can't get one in stock for a few days but they have a 94Y one in stock.

Would this make a difference to the handling? Should I assume that the 94Y tyre wouldn't flex as much?

In reality, I'll be patient and wait till the correct one comes in but it got me thinking?!

The reality is you dont actually know.

It may well be that the tyre construction is identical, as the 91 rated tyre is already strong enough to be badged as a 94. Or it may be that one is constructed differently to give the higher rating.

One of my A4;s has 91's on and the other has 94's simply due to whatever was cheapest at the time of ordering. Unfortunatley theres too many differences between the two cars to be able to tell wether the 91's are any different to the 94's

Why are you changing one tyre anyway? You should really replace both!

I've moved the current alloys from another car. At the last MOT, the testing garage managed to badly cut the tyre and mangle the wheel on their ramp and they replaced the tyre and refurb'd the alloy, which I can't complain about.

I agree about changing both but...it basically means I have one tyre with 4.5mm and one with 1.6mm! Not ideal I know but hey ho.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeh, problem is if you replace 1, your then going to have one on 8mm and one on 4.5mm and the cycle perpetuates endlessly...

Your certainly likely to have more handling differences having two tyres with 4mm of tread difference than you are having two slightly different load ratings!

Replace the pair, and put the decent used one on ebay, you'll be surprised how much you'll get for it!

Ultimately the handling difference between those tyres will be small. Usually the XL rated tyres in any size , the 94 will be XL, have stiffer sidewalls sometimes with an extra cord or a different construction to take the extra weight.
Sometimes this makes the sidewall a little stiffer so helps turn in response etc.
Quite often people go for an XL tyre for this reason.

Karl.