Engine removal advice

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
So i have my engine 99% out. Im just wondering what way most people disconnect the turbo/manifold/downpipe/engine to complete removal

I was going to just disconnect the downpipe from the manifold...job done but I could only remove 2 of the downpipe bolts, the top one and the bottom right. I could get a socket or a spanner on the last one.

So i went on to remove the turbo from the manifold.. i removed the 3 bolts, the bracket bolt and the allen head bolt and now the turbo is seperate from the manifold, i just have to disconnect the oil and coolant lines and it should be plain sailing.

The reason im asking is because i can see myself running into difficulties in reassembly.

I would have thought engine,turbo and manifold all bolted together would have been the way to go and simply attached to the downpipe when in the bay but the fact that i cant get a spanner on that 3rd nut on the downpipe is messing me up. any advice?

You can access the 3rd down-pipe nut through the drivers side wheel arch, it's a pain! I removed my engine with the turbo manifold etc all still attached to the rear of the engine. Are you upgrading your downpipe or still keeping the standard one?

You can access the 3rd down-pipe nut through the drivers side wheel arch, it's a pain! I removed my engine with the turbo manifold etc all still attached to the rear of the engine. Are you upgrading your downpipe or still keeping the standard one?

Yeah ah I can see the bolt clearly but just can't get a socket or a spanner to turn it. I'm keeping the original downpipe, just removing the turbo to have it reconditioned