Music from SD endless skip song

Kemmey

Reaction score
Hi all!

I have a problem when playing back music from SD in the MMI. I have a 64gb SDXC card, filled to the brim with MP3s. The MMI starts playing just fine, but when I set it to shuffle, and then skip through songs - sometimes 10, sometimes 40 - the MMI software crashes, and starts skipping endlessly. Even if I switch to radio, bluetooth, turn it off and back on - whenever I switch to SD input, it continues to skip, not able to play anything. The only thing to fix it, is to pop the SD out and back in, or reset the MMI with the three-button combo. Afterwards, I can play the songs it skipped just fine. It seems to be the sheer amount of songs on the card, that just crashes the software - which is amazing, since it's supposed to support up to 2TB...

Anybody else experienced this? I've turned the SD card in to the dealer, and reproduced the fault on two cars there - I guess they will examine it locally, and then maybe ship it off to Germany to the software guys for a fix...

There's a couple of things you could try. One is to reduce the number of songs on the card temporarily to see if that cures it. The other is to change the filing system on the card. As standard, a 64GB card must use ExFAT, but it is possible to format it to FAT using a free app called GUIformat. (Link to Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd to get the app)

I haven't had any problems myself. I use an Integral UltimaPro 64GB Class 10 SDXC card which has about 35GB on it and at the moment I think it's formatted to FAT using the above app.

It is definitely formatted ExFAT - I did so myself. Absolutely worth a try formatting using ordinary FAT32 - I've handed that particular card in to the dealer - but I have others, so will try.

Reducing the amount of music on it might solve the problem - I have a 16GB card, formatted FAT32 - which is both solutions in one - and that works properly. It's also not SDXC, but only SDHC. So one of those three differences fixes the problem. I'll try a few combinations and see if I can get closer - thanks for the input! :)

It is definitely formatted ExFAT - I did so myself. Absolutely worth a try formatting using ordinary FAT32 - I've handed that particular card in to the dealer - but I have others, so will try.

Reducing the amount of music on it might solve the problem - I have a 16GB card, formatted FAT32 - which is both solutions in one - and that works properly. It's also not SDXC, but only SDHC. So one of those three differences fixes the problem. I'll try a few combinations and see if I can get closer - thanks for the input! :)

Hi,

Did you get any joy with reducing the amount of music on your card? I've exactly the same problem, with a 64gb card loaded up with 58gb of tunes.

Cheers,

Chris.

I tried re-formatting in FAT32 yesterday - and lo and behold - just works(tm)! :)

It IS a different card (dealer's still got the other one) - but this one's also a 64gb SDXC - only difference is it's formatted FAT32 instead of ExFAT...

I tried skipping all the way to work this morning - it didn't crash... I'll try again on my way back - if it keeps working, I'll accept that as the fix/problem...

I tried re-formatting in FAT32 yesterday - and lo and behold - just works(tm)! :)

It IS a different card (dealer's still got the other one) - but this one's also a 64gb SDXC - only difference is it's formatted FAT32 instead of ExFAT...

I tried skipping all the way to work this morning - it didn't crash... I'll try again on my way back - if it keeps working, I'll accept that as the fix/problem...

Nice one!! I presume reformatting the card wipes it and you have to add your tunes onto it again?

Well, the only way to be sure, of course, is to reformat it to ExFAT and put all the music back on and see if it then skips. But then again, as it's working now, why bother breaking it? :)

True, I'm just trying to reduce my pain of reloading again once I reformat ;)

I'll give it a go, and report back :)

My post above was in reply to Kemmy, but Chris sneaked a post in between and now it looks like I was replying to him. :) Yes, reformatting the card will wipe the content, I'm afraid.

I think I have a problem. I keep ordering things for the car. Its not due till september. On the back of this I have just added a 64gb card to my collection, alongside the 3 SIM, and am now considering winter tyres, etc.

Help me before I buy again.

Reactions: steverobertsbbc
Finally got my troublesome sdxc card back from the dealer - tried it, still broken - reformatted in FAT32, copied everything back - works perfectly!

Conclusion: Standard MMI does support SDXC of at least 64gb, as long as they're formatted FAT32, NOT ExFAT...