Bike rack on roof or bike carrier for rear

discostu49

Reaction score
As the long title asked what's better e.g pros and cons the Thule roof rack set up is really expensive as opposed to a rear carrier that straps to the boot, I'm going to Arran for a week and need to get my bike there, don't fancy shelling out £300 for one

I used the Thule aero bars with two bikes on top on my Vectra,

Personally, it was handy to be able to open the boot etc and i preferred it over the rear ones (Of which you sometimes have to get a light board for if you block your lights anyway).

They are expensive but when i sold my vectra I sold my set up for £140+ second hand - Maybe look ebay?

The thule ones also have locks on (Albeit nothing is infallible)

I've got the roof rails on our sportback. Got the roof bars as a freebie when the car was new. Got an Audi bike thrown in as well as some bits were missing off the new car spec.
I've since bought another two genuine Audi bike racks - can't remember what I paid but, managed to find some on EBAY.

There are some on there now - these are the old style black plastic.

Audi A3 Roof rack with two bike racks | eBay

Doubt they are worth £250 though!

These are the newer ones

NEW GENUINE AUDI ACCESSORY ROOF BAR MOUNTED SINGLE BIKE CARRIER HOLDER | eBay

Good thing is that they also fit the BMW rack as well :yes:

The ones we have work quite well and are easy on and off (the plastic ones in the first ebay listing). The wheels fits in the plastic delves and then you fix a central bar/grip around the frame. All locks in place and very secure (tested mine at motorway speeds and along winding country roads). You've just got to remember they are on the roof if driving into town or a drive through Macdonalds :ohmy: