Audi S3 8P3 with the usual mods...

Morgan Park taught me i need more camber, even if i had literally just replaced the suspension. first up was a set of these...

and before the suspension was removed again i thought i'd check it for size against and old spring, perfect...

so far so good and i would recommend them. a little bit of a creak or two when maneuvering to park etc but that was to be expected. i'm dropping the car in tomorrow morning at Accurate Suspension so they can work their magic...

Reactions: S3Alex
i got the car on the dyno at the weekend so Ben could work his magic. it wasn't really an exercise in chasing numbers but based on the turbo specs we suggested a target figure of 220 killer wasps at the wheels...

and guess what the final result was...

the main thing is i'm really happy with the way it drives; plenty of power and nice and smooth as you can see by the curve...

as an added bonus i think i'm close to 400hp at the fly if my calcs are right; based on a 35% drive train loss. it might be possible to eek a bit more out of it and see how close i can get to the maximum 420hp that turbo is supposedly capable of. i'm going to install the wmi kit when i get chance and see what the gains are...

i got the car on the dyno at the weekend so Ben could work his magic. it wasn't really an exercise in chasing numbers but based on the turbo specs we suggested a target figure of 220 killer wasps at the wheels...

and guess what the final result was...

the main thing is i'm really happy with the way it drives; plenty of power and nice and smooth as you can see by the curve...

as an added bonus i think i'm close to 400hp at the fly if my calcs are right; based on a 35% drive train loss. it might be possible to eek a bit more out of it and see how close i can get to the maximum 420hp that turbo is supposedly capable of. i'm going to install the wmi kit when i get chance and see what the gains are...

Extremely nice car guile!:) You have all the right parts added!:) Can i ask where you have 35% drivetrain loss from? Is that not wery high for a haldex car? I am curios abouth this becous where i dynos my car they used only 12% drivtrain loss on haldex. hm.

Can i ask where you have 35% drivetrain loss from?

thanks mate, i got it from this ozzie forum regarding awd drivetrain loss. http://www.ls1.com.au/forum/archive/index.php/t-30840.html not many folk tune audi out here so you will always find stuff on holdens, fords, nissan and subaru etc (i thought he subaru awd system would be similar to audi awd).

"Subaru H6 AWD auto with 180Kw at Flywheel pre mods, on the dyno this reduced to 118 Kw or approx 35% loss"

i have to admit i'm new to all this though so i could be well off, i'm happy to take pointers...

i managed to track some of the quick fit harness down and used at last time attack, worked a treat...

they deffo keep you planted and stop you from grabbing on to the steering wheel to steady yourself...

Just read through your thread, absolutely fantastic!!!

keep up the good work!!!:hubbahubba:

i managed to track some of the quick fit harness down and used at last time attack, worked a treat...

they deffo keep you planted and stop you from grabbing on to the steering wheel to steady yourself...

looks like a good set up for track day mate

hi mate, managed to take a couple of photos last time i was back of the breather pipe. not that easy to see but i hope it helps...

also fitted the runner flap delete, not the best fitting piece of kit but good enough to serve its purpose i reckon...

a big thanks to Ale for these shots...

taken at the last track session...

Im interested in a set of headlamps like yours.Any leads

thanks mate, appreciate the comments...

not much more i can do now, a front parking sensor retro fit is on the cards along with wmi install...

Reactions: Dannymoto
thanks mate, appreciate the comments...

not much more i can do now, a front parking sensor retro fit is on the cards along with wmi install...

Come on....you know there's loads more to do!

guile i thought that the TTRS LPFP control module was plug and play. Did you also swap your old fuel level floater/ensor on the LPFP? :S
Now thats going to steer me to other options.
Can you please PM where did you get your LED reverse bulbs from? how are they running till now?

Thanks

Reactions: Mario8P
hey mate, the TTRS LPFP PWC module is essentially plug and play, i.e. it will work straight out of the box but it will not auto prime your pump when opening the door or auto shut off when you turn the key back...

if i had my time again i'd go for one of these babies...

http://torqbyte.com/products/torqbyte-pm3

this is also a very interesting read...

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=82093.0
Thanks brother! That controller does look very tempting, and it had the plug and play connector as an option.

Regarding the actual ttrs lpfp did you have to swap the floater with your original one?

no swapping anything mate, comes as a complete unit. hardest part about fitting is hooking up the hose that runs to the other side of the tank due to the awd system making the tank like a saddle sitting over the top of the prop shaft...

Reactions: Mario8P
after considering moving to the dark side a couple of times (mercedes a45 or c63) i have decided to keep the s3. one of the main reasons is that i'd miss out on the fun at happy laps far too much and the company of the good people on this forum...

after deciding to keep the car i've got stuck back in and will be doing a few mods i've been putting off for a while. first cab off the rank; remote gate and garage door buttons in the dash...

the dash started off looking like this...

i had numerous bits and pieces left over from when i installed the card drawer recently. that will now be removed which is a bit of a waste but the buttons will get far more use. the only think i had in the card drawer was the remote for the haldex controller which is now in the centre armrest...

i have two remotes, one for the garage and one for the gate so i ordered 2 buttons which i thought suited the remotes the best...

i've spared you photos of the boring solder process but basically soldered 2 wires to each remote switch, wrapped in cloth tape to stop the rattling behind the dash and attached a 2 pin plug on the end so i can easily remove to change the remote batteries...

once i'd finished putting all back together it looked like this; ignore the non illuminated front parking sensor switch, thats the next mod on the list...

Reactions: samuelh_888, S3Alex, HansfishS3 and 1 other person

There was a lad on Facebook recently that broke his back using a harness on a seat that wasn't made for one.

The seat snapped in half on impact and as a result took his back with it.

If you want harnesses I'd strongly reccomend a proper racing seat to go with it, and by that I don't mean the optional rs4 recaro seats.

Reactions: nothingness
s3 8v steering wheel arrived yesterday so thats the job for this coming weekend. it sounds like a quite an expense for not much visual change but i think the 8p wheel is too thin and miss the feel of the chunky wheel on the r32 i used to own...

I obviously don't need the paddle shifts but they can be unbolted as far as I know...

you can tell the wheel profile and thickness is slightly different in this shot...

while scratching around on the net for a billet oil dipstick and i came across this obd splitter cable (not sure how). one thing that had been annoying me about my p3 gauge is that i have to unplug it every time i need to connect the vcds. now i dont...

its the little things that make me happy, yes i know i'm strange...

I installed this and then all **** broke loose on coding. No steering wheel control and unable to communicate with j527 module

I installed this and then all **** broke loose on coding. No steering wheel control and unable to communicate with j527 module

removed mine too mate as i couldn't get the vcds to connect to the 2nd input on the obd splitter...

Last edited:
Hi,
First of all I just want to say thanks for sharing and I really liked a few of the things you have done with your car :)
Just wanted to let you know that you can keep the obd splitter and connect with vcds..
The problem is that the second input will not work when the first input is being used(by the p3cars gauge), so when I want to log my car I just turn the gauge off(you can do that by entering the gauge config menu).
When you just want to check for fault codes or change coding you will not have a problem since the p3cars gauge only turns on when the car is turned on(not when its just ignition).

About your recent install of the garage door button, I have done the same in my car a long time ago but I also wired the garage door remote to the car's ignition instead of the remote battery(safer this way cause a thief will not be able to open the door unless he already succeeded in turning the car on) and you will not need to worry about the battery running out..

About the rear view camera you should really consider changing to the R8 camera, much nicer with the oem install and the moving lines according to your steering wheel angle.. :)

oh, you should also consider changing your climatronic control module to the Q3 one. its much nicer with the white display..

Just wanted to let you know that you can keep the obd splitter and connect with vcds

thanks for all the info mate, I still have the splitter so might give it another try next time I have the lower dash cover removed...

I did think about wiring my remote to the car battery but the remote ran on 6v and I didn't want to damage anything with 12v...

the r8 camera was a bit rich for my blood but I would like it one day. may be it can be a job for when I finish everything else...

I also looked at the q3 climate control upgrade but if I remember correct something needed trimming to fit and I was concerned it wouldn't look like an oem finish, again may be one day...

a few shots from the last happy laps, thanks a lot and a shout out to the photographer...

well, for the voltage difference you can use one of these converters (I used one like this when I wired the remote in my car)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Conve...814638?hash=item19ed251c2e:g:qIAAAOSwNSxU7rsk

The R8 camera is one of my favorite mods, I find that its the oem electric mods that I enjoy the most since they don't tend to give me problems in the long run like power mods.. :/
here is how its working in my car, maybe it will make you move it up a little in the priority.. ;)

y1c0ymwoz2wi.jpg

About the Q3 climate control, you are correct that the the trimming needs to be done(in some cases), but I have seen that you do not have seat heating so yo can buy the B revision that looks identical to the climate in your car and just switch the front panel of the Q3 and your original(the display is on the electrical board), thats what I have done and it came out perfect

ymmw1ytldnjm.jpg

zzdemvojmj4f.jpg

I also noticed that you use the TTRS controller for your TTRS lpfp, does it not give you problems of suddenly shutting the fuel? back in my previous A3 I made this adapter with the RS4 module(its the same as the TTRS only the wiring is slightly different)

yhmtjdxmbmny.jpg

the adapter that I have made used a relay to switch between the original car's fuel controller and the RS4 controller, with ignition turned on it was getting the power from the RS4 module and when ignition was off the original controller was supplying the power, this way I managed to maintain the original behavior with the door fuel dripping and everything..
But with my current S3 I experienced problems with it so I bought the PM3 torqbyte controller(that I highly recommend).

I so want you to install the RS3 Grill ! I also love the front splitter and the rear diffuser painted LAP6 which is the RS3 matt chrome look, It really makes the car pop!

I so want you to install the RS3 Grill ! I also love the front splitter and the rear diffuser painted LAP6 which is the RS3 matt chrome look, It really makes the car pop!

thanks for the suggestion mate but i'm really keen to keep it standard s3 looking with some subtle changes...

decided to change the oil this weekend as an interim in between full services due to a bit of track time lately. bought this little lot to make the job easy...

and because I didn't want to mess around with jacks and axle stands I picked up these caravan levellers, plenty of room for an oil change once the cars on these...

for anyone who hasn't changed the oil before its very easy with the right gear, thought I'd take a photo at each step incase it helps others. this is the oil filter which is accessible once you have removed the under tray via the 8 torx25 screws (4 each side)...

this is the filter housing after the dust cover is removed...

and this is a new tool I bought for draining the oil out of the housing. you can use other methods but after years of working on cars saving money and making do with whatever tools I had, its nice to have the right gear. it makes it so much easier and cleaner process...

draining oil from the housing...

36mm socket for removing the filter housing, rotate anticlockwise as usual...

I sat the filter housing on the bowl while i went to get the new filter and some long nose pliers to remove the o-ring...

pretty much all the tools you need to do the job...

and the torque wrench if you're nervous about cracking the housing like me, 25nm for tightening torque...

comparison between old and new filter colour...

and finally back together with an ezitap to drop the oil without removing a sump plug next time...

I can't believe that I have not come across this thread before.

Fantastic write up mate with great attention to detail and thoroughness. I'm also a very particular person and would love to be able to carry out a fraction of what you've done instead of paying a garage to do it for me. Still need to do my own build thread but it will be nothing in compairson to yours haha.

Did you ever get round to fitting the Fluidampr Engine Damper?

I too have opted for gloss black badges all-round, however I didn't realise that you could get the grill S3 badge in black as well, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. Where did you get yours from? As I can't find any on eBay..

I can't believe that I have not come across this thread before.

Fantastic write up mate with great attention to detail and thoroughness. I'm also a very particular person and would love to be able to carry out a fraction of what you've done instead of paying a garage to do it for me. Still need to do my own build thread but it will be nothing in compairson to yours haha.

I too have opted for gloss black badges all-round, however I didn't realise that you could get the grill S3 badge in black as well, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. Where did you get yours from? As I can't find any on eBay..

This!?

yes mate, have to admit i got a garage to fit my turbo; i was going to do it myself but as i wanted the clutch replacing also it thought it better to get a garage to do the clutch, turbo and fluidamper all at the same time...

i'm pretty certain that i got all the badges from ebay but it was over 4 years ago now so my memory is not great. i'll try and search my purchases and let you know...

edit: actually i think it was this place i bought it from...

http://www.audibadges.com/audi_sline_badges.html

Reactions: HHS3
yes mate, have to admit i got a garage to fit my turbo; i was going to do it myself but as i wanted the clutch replacing also it thought it better to get a garage to do the clutch, turbo and fluidamper all at the same time...

i'm pretty certain that i got all the badges from ebay but it was over 4 years ago now so my memory is not great. i'll try and search my purchases and let you know...

edit: actually i think it was this place i bought it from...

http://www.audibadges.com/audi_sline_badges.html

Even with your level of competence I'm not surprised you got a garage to fit all of those bits! Good stuff I've never managed to speak to someone directly whose got the Fluidampr engine damper fitted, how does your SMF sound whilst idling, is there much chatter?

Nice one thanks for the link.

great build/project thread

you have given me some great inspiration for my daily/trackday car build

would recommend fittin a bucket seat will make a world of difference on track

a couple of steps closer to getting the pm3 up and running, hardest part ever getting a feed through the firewall...

36355584626_9f8ac04897_k.jpg

installed a 40 amp fuse at the battery as per the destructions...

36003565630_e290f75821_k.jpg

a couple more connections to make and its golden...

35564962904_12263c750e_k.jpg

Reactions: S.
final wiring installed and heat shrink wrapped...

36369872662_0a5ccd4e82_b.jpg

all wrapped and tidy at the pump too, trying to keep it as oem as possible...

35703475644_b6aa4dfbf2_b.jpg

all hooked up in the boot with the wiring diagram for anyone planning to do the same install. the instructions say not to keep it covered due to heat transfer put pretty difficult to find anywhere decent to put it. i'm planning t pull the boot carpet out on track days to let some air circulate around the heat sinks, i'm sure that will be sufficient...

36492020476_7a39b2577b_b.jpg

i took it for a steady run to the coast and back, no issues so i think i've installed it correctly. the real test is lakeside next month, looking forward to getting on the track and catching up with some of the regulars...

so i took it for a run after i put it back together and the car was misfiring badly, i couldn't believe it and thought it must be something to do with the new controller. i disconnected the new unit and took it for another spin and the car was still misfiring...

i started with the basic and cheapest replacement part i could think of; spark plugs. before removing them my ocd took over and a labelled the coil packs (i know they are not the cylinder firing numbers but i'd never get that right, so just i just went from left to right. i'm a poet and i don't know it)...

36479454794_24b3d9b3e4_b.jpg

looks like i got lucky with my second guess...

36919317690_815be4bf16_b.jpg

i switched them for ngk's recommend for stage 2+...

37317177605_021ff997b5_b.jpg

and before i put it all back together i thought i'd take this photo, things are getting out of hand on the "everything must be symmetrical front"...

36503425323_9631958e27_b.jpg

while i was trying to diagnose the issue i also bought a spare oem standard pump controller as i was reliably informed by the internet that if you are running the upgraded pump on the stock controller there is a chance the stock controller will be damaged. the truth is out there...

36919368220_ac2a27b449_b.jpg

either way i now have a spare that i will take with me to the track and swap out if the car starts to play up like a mo fo...

so its taken agesssssss but the semis are finally on...

not a big fan of the standard wheels and I'm sure they weigh a tonne so I'm on the hunt for a lighter set...

also fitted this, safety first...