Tires hitting off rear arches

Kilough

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here, go easy on me! I've an issue with my RS4 alloys knocking off the inside of my arches. When I bought the car, it had 235/40/18s on the rear and 225/40/18s on the front.

I tried swapping the rears with the fronts, with the 225/40/18s on the front it improved things. I then took away the lining screws from under the arch and that improved things again. Problem is that I still have some knocking/scraping noise if I've 2 or more in the back.

I think my options are to:

Swap the R18s for R17s which I don't want to do!

Put new 225/40/18s on the front and rear and live with minor rubbing and hope that I don't ruin my new tires by scraping them.

Put 215/40/18s on there, I would think that the narrower and lower tire wall should stop the rubbing altogether.

Has anyone put 215/40/18s on RS4 or replica RS4s?? I'm wondering will they look stupid, kinda like this - \__/ or would they even fit? Also, I'll probably scratch my rims a lot more with this narrower tire.

What's the best way to stop the rubbing altogether?!

Opinions appreciated!

Thanks

take one of the wheels off and look on the inside, it will give you the specs of the wheel, post those please.

Just taken off one of the wheels, they say 8jx18h2. Does that help? The hitting is happening on the outside, there is marks on the outside corner of the tire. I think a spacer would make it worse by pushing it out further?

Thanks for replies

Ok so 8x18 is perfect.. What was the offset? It'll say something like "ET45" inside the wheel too

Yes a spacer would make it worse

Just checked the wheel again and it says ET 35..Im hoping 215/40/18 might do the trick?

Just checked the wheel again and it says ET 35..Im hoping 215/40/18 might do the trick?

I'm not an expert on this but I'm sure et35 is way way to low and should realistically be et45 ...I have ET43 and they sometimes run with people in the car but they are meant for the A4 model..

2014 06 16 1817402014 06 16 181740
ive attached a pic of the stamp on the wheel..its pretty hard to make out. Think its ET 35 but could possibly be ET45?

Thats ET35 and is too low as ET44 rubs on mine. Is it physically rubbing on the arch or arch liner screw? Difficult to tell if its the arch itself........get some plasticene on it to gauge if it is.

It was rubbing when I bought the car, I changed the tires on the rear from 235/40 to 225/40 and it definitely helped. Then took off the arch liner screw and it helped again. So I was hoping that the smaller tire would finally be enough to solve the issue altogether! There is no visible damage on the arch, the liner seems worn though so maybe cutting it away altogether might be enough to stop the noise. Or that might be a bad idea as the liner is probably protecting the arch itself?

I do need new tires anyways so might aswell go for the 215/40s. Any reason that size tire wouldn't work with my wheels?