Dual mass flywheel

ozzy786

Reaction score
So my car is in the garage as the slave cylinder went, getting a LUK clutch + slave cylinder changed, im very unsure whether or not i should change the flywheel while hes in the gearbox. Ofcourse il have him have a look at what kind of condition the flywheel is in, but my question is how reliable are these flywheels in S3's? My cars on 105k miles, ideally i'd like to get it changed however that means a very pricey bill :( are flywheels likely to fail on these cars? Has anyone had their clutch changed with the original flywheel and not had any problems?

Thanks guys.

You got any documents stating if the car has ever had a clutch/flywheel change previously?

If not then, if it were my car, I would have it changed. Last thing you want is to have to pay to have the box pulled again when the flywheel fails.

In my experience a dual mass flywheel doesn't last the life of 2 clutches.

same here mate ,, if i was keeping the car id get clutch, flywheel,and thrust bearing all done..

Have you considered going for a single mass flywheel? Ive just had the valeo kit fitted to mine and got no complaints, less problematic than dual mass apparently and the kits just short of 300 at carparts4less thats clutch and fly included and I just got a slave separately. Something to consider / read up on if moneys a factor and I havent noticed mine rattle like the light weight ones are supposed to

Have you considered going for a single mass flywheel? Ive just had the valeo kit fitted to mine and got no complaints, less problematic than dual mass apparently and the kits just short of 300 at carparts4less thats clutch and fly included and I just got a slave separately. Something to consider / read up on if moneys a factor and I havent noticed mine rattle like the light weight ones are supposed to

Hi Jase what's the drive like compared to duel mass and have you uprated it due to using more power, also does it sound rattley as I heard they are a lot noisey compared to standard

Chris.