Bleeding brakes- bleed sequence

johnnevett

Reaction score
Hi
can someone please help on the correct order to bleed the brakes and clutch?
is it drivers rear, passenger rear, drivers front, passenger front, clutch master?

thanks
john.

It is essentially as you have outlined, longest lines first - the idea being to minimise contaminating the new fluid by close contact with "still to get replaced" old fluid. Not a show stopper if you get it wrong other than rears first then front. Do you intend to use Gunson's pressure bleeder, I do, but with a pressurised garden spray pack bought and only ever used for this task? Clutch, I have not looked into that yet, I never ever changed the fluid in my 2000MY Passat 4Motion in 13 years of ownership from new, same with wife's 2003MY Polo 1.4 SE in almost 12 years of ownership from new. Now that is not considered best practise, but there were just too many bad stories about the plastic clutch bleed valve - with no chance of buying a replacement bleed valve - maybe things have changed since then. I have yet to change the fluid in my S4, though I am buying fluid tomorrow, hope to get away with 1 litre.

I always thought it was furthest away first but there are posts which say clutch first then fronts then rears.
I never thought about the clutch until it was mentioned to me.
and yes using the gunsun bleeder

The Gunson bleeder is a useful tool just remember not to put too much pressure in the bottle. I usually use a spare tyre but let it down to 15 PSI. This works fine, People have had issues with fluid reservoirs splitting because too much pressure was in the bottle.

That is part of the reason why I've always used an independant source of low pressure, with the garden sprayer, I only ever aim to bleed one or two points then pump it back up, if truth be known, these Gunson's bits of kit tend to leak quite quickly and doing this is easier than needing to pump up the spare tyre again, also, I've made sure the length of pipe from the pressure vessel to the Gunson's bottle is well long enough to reach. I might need to buy my third Gunson's kit though if it leaks too much in too many places! I always now place lots of old newspaper over the engine area to avoid any of it contacting fluid.

Went into local Audi dealer yesterday to buy oil filter + sump plug + seal (plug bought in case it was a "funny" size - no just 6mm HEX key needed.

Anyway, asked for a litre of brake fluid - "we don't sell that now as it comes in big drums for workshop!" okay, a visit to my local friendly VW VAN CENTRE is now my next option!

So, in one of the pictures in the "owners area" on the Auid UK website, it shows a smallish tin of brake fluid, I wonder where they got that?? (from a VW VAN CENTRE maybe?).

Halfords own branded DOT 5.1 is good stuff. I used it on my bikes with no brake fade issues.

Cheap too :)

My local VW Van Centre sold me a litre for £10 which was the same price as Audi, I prefer to buy OEM stuff or at least OEM looking stuff, just in case I have some unrelated car issues while still in or just out of warranty.