S4 CAB to S3

380BHPS4

Reaction score
Hi all,
Firstly just to say what a brilliant website this is. I have been viewing for just over a year and have finally got round to doing my first post. It has also helped me greatly when choosing my latest Audi.

I have had quite a few Audi's over the years, but back last year the time came to replace the B6 S4 cabriolet. The S4 was good car but not without its problems and cost a fortune to run.

S4
As with many others on this site I could not resist the urge to make a few changes to the S4, these included:
  • Changing the rear valance to accept a B7 quad pipe milltek resonated exhaust. I tried a non-resonated but there was too much drone between 1800 and 2500 rpm.
  • I briefly fitted Milltek down pipes with sports cats whilst this was great for the first couple of weeks the novelty soon wore off as it was just too loud.
  • I fitted a set of 19 inch MTM bimoto's which looked great but I not sure the move to such low profile tyres did much for the handling.

I did not map the S4 because the level of power gain was out weighed by the cost, one of the downsides of a normally aspirated engine.

So I started to do many more miles for work and needed something a little better on fuel. I didn't want to loose the four wheel drive and still wanted something sporty. So I went for this:

S3

It a manual 57 plate S3. So what are my thoughts so far.

Plus points:
  • The handling is so much better, (The Cabriolet with the V8 weighed so much)
  • The fuel consumption has almost halved.
  • The insurance is less (Good on you Greenlight)
  • And best of all it is just as quick if not quicker.

Negative points:
  • I miss the thought of being able to drop the roof, but in reality I hardly ever did (British weather for you).
  • I miss the sound track of the V8
  • And initially I missed the torque of the V8 but that was before I had the car mapped.

Its fair to say I am well pleased and would not be in a rush to go back to a V8 as a daily driver. I had a REVO map put on by the brilliant team at the TT Shop in Bedford which transformed the car, even though it was just the stage 1 map. And yesterday they fitted a Sachs organic clutch and new DMF as preparation for the move to stage 2. I have a Milltek cat back on at the moment which is alright but I will need a new down pipe and cat for stage 2. Having read the comments on BCS exhausts on this site I am tempted to go down that route and am considering a full BCS system to replace the stock down pipe and Milltek.

Thanks reading and for those of you that posted the brilliant advice that has got me here.

Reactions: y2kcurran, RS3dan, warren_S5 and 4 others
Glad you like the car,and are pleased with the remap.

Now you need all the other stages!

Thanks Steve, it was the TT Shop who recommended the Revo stage 1 map and they weren't wrong, it absolutely transforms the S3. It is smooth and feels so much more powerful with no hesitation. All I've got to do now is save the pennies for the new down-pipe and fuel pump then it will be back to the TT Shop so that I can buy a little bit more of the Revo magic, in the form of the stage 2 map.

Reactions: Revo Steve-W
S3 Alex, thanks for your message. I also need to thank you for all valuable information I have picked up from your posts over the last few months. They are real words of wisdom and resonate with some of my own experiences, such as sticking with 18 inch wheels.

Reactions: S3Alex
Well, you got the best colour S3 dude lol :thumbsup:

Reactions: Aramis95
S3 Alex, thanks for your message. I also need to thank you for all valuable information I have picked up from your posts over the last few months. They are real words of wisdom and resonate with some of my own experiences, such as sticking with 18 inch wheels.

It's a pleasure.

This place and VAGOC have been an enormous help to me since the beginning,and if I can help along the way now,then it's something given back to the forum.

Hope you have fun with the car,but remember what happens next with the mods!

It's a pleasure.

This place and VAGOC have been an enormous help to me since the beginning,and if I can help along the way now,then it's something given back to the forum.

Hope you have fun with the car,but remember what happens next with the mods!

S3Alex you have been a great help and inspiration to me!!

380bhps4... welcome to the site and the S3

Welcome to the site! You've bought the right code so well done for that. You wait till you get the next stages. 2+ is superb.

Hope you enjoy the S3. It doesn't have the soundtrack but there's a lot to love it for when it's decked out with the right bits and pieces.

Welcome mate, although a bit of a newbe myself, what is that Sachs clutch like? As I am thinking about fitting one myself in preparation for Stage 2+ and how much did it cost to have it fitted if you don't mind me asking?

Can PM if you prefer/don't mind :)

Two nice cars there. Glad your liking the S3 they really are great cars for tuning and handling.

I recommend a Revo Air Intake if you need a cold air intake. Few others will say the same.

I see you got a Milltek Cat back, have you considered a Pipewerx downpipe and decat/sports cat. They recently fitted DP and decat to my OEM cat back for £375. Check my blog for pictures.

How much was your recent clutch replacement?

Reactions: Revo Steve-W
Thanks for such a warm welcome. Compkiller, Forbzeee, Warren S5 and Dan-Jnr.

Compkiller your right they do look good in silver.

Dan-Jnr thanks for the thoughts on the down-pipe but there are times when I need the car the be very quiet. Adding the down-pipe whilst improving the performance will increase the noise so I would need to change the cat back to compensate. Hence seriously considering the BCS system which can be ordered with twin centre resonators unlike the Milltek's single centre resonator on the resonated version.

Adding the down-pipe whilst improving the performance will increase the noise so I would need to change the cat back to compensate. Hence seriously considering the BCS system which can be ordered with twin centre resonators unlike the Milltek's single centre resonator on the resonated version.

Really - I have the BCS downpipe and sports cat (mated to the standard rear section) ... hardly any extra noise but then its definitely not OEM quiet and mine is only a 2.0 TFSI not S3

I didn't think you could break up the BCS into sections? Thought you had to get the whole thing ?

My OEM cat back with Pipewerx DP and decat is quiet when casually driving, it's only loud on WOT.