Cannot unlock using remote fob

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Today, my car suddenly stopped responding to any of the buttons on the key fob. I tried the spare fob with the same result. I can only lock and unlock using the key blade in the lock. A couple of times today, I heard five quick bleeps in succession. Can anyone offer any pointers before I book it in for a scan?

Have you tried a new battery in the fob turning ignition on then trying the fob again ?

Haven't tried anything yet as am out for the day. It's affected both fobs though so suspect it's the car rather than the fob.

Jeff, cant you get one of the local vcds guys to have a look at it for you? :) x

Hi, Sandra, not today I can't. Am 60 miles from home, visiting mam-in-law in her nursing home (89 today) fretting about whether the car will start when it's time to leave.

Hi, Sandra, not today I can't. Am 60 miles from home, visiting mam-in-law in her nursing home (89 today) fretting about whether the car will start when it's time to leave.

I hope it starts ok for you Jeff. :) x

It's affected both fobs though so suspect it's the car rather than the fob.

Might just need to re-sync the fobs with the car.
1. Open door with key
2. Put key in ignition, turn on but not start the car.
3. Press unlock button on fob then press lock button on fob.
4. Take key out, shut door and see if the key works.
Worth a go for free.

Reactions: Sandra and jdp1962
And now, after driving about six miles and leaving it unlocked for half an hour, it's all working again. Weird!

And now, after driving about six miles and leaving it unlocked for half an hour, it's all working again. Weird!

I would try a new battery in the Fob ( costs about £1) , resync the fob ( if it needs it) and see how it goes.
We had a similar issue on my wifes Toyota Yaris and it was the battery in the key fob that was the fault.

Good luck and keep us posted.

was it raining last night
my OAP b6 always does this after a night of rain

and no way will any audi I own or have owned in the past work on the mother in laws drive.

Reactions: jdp1962
that may be cos shes a old witch tho

Reactions: Jespy and jdp1962
Make sure there are no blockages in the plenum/battery chamber area which then leaks into the passenger side footwell & toasts the conv module, hence key issues.

Reactions: jdp1962
Checked the plenum chamber; bone dry. No re-occurrences since yesterday. Behaving perfectly normally.

prob just spat the dummy out

I would check the conv module to be sure tbh, could have got damp, your choice mate.

Hi, I'm experiencing a similar issue ... except I'm a month or so down the line from it righting itself after re-synching the key fob ... and it is pretty much playing up everytime I attempt to unlock remotely now, and am forced to unlock using the Key Blade.

I considered trying a new battery, but the Red Light flashes on the Key Fob when I press the button, so that indicates the Key Fob battery is OK, as the Fob is operational - right ? My assumption being that if the battery is dead, the Red Light on the Key Fob would not illuminate ?

It's realllly frustrating as it's literally all the time now - and I don't fancy a trip to the Audi Dealership to get my trousers pulled down on investigative costs !

Any help, advice or thoughts regarding a solution / diagnosis of this would be massively appreciated.

Thanks in advance ...

You need to check the module for any water damage imho.

OK, NHN ... willing to check / try anything now as it's hugely frustrating !

Where / how do I locate the module, and what am I looking specifically ?

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

Is anyone able to kindly advise me how to access the Convenience Module, to check for water damage please ?

I've felt all around the carpet in the Passenger footwell and it is all dry - but assume that I need to actually get to the Conv Module itself to be absolutely certain as to whether there is water damage or not.

I've had a search for step by step guide to locate, access & check the Module - but I cannot find anything :eek:(

I really need some help on it please, unlocking my car with the blade each time is driving me bananas !

Thanks,

Thank you Sir, hugely appreciated.

Have a great day.

It's under the carpet in the front passenger side not in the rear, push front seat back to give youself more room.

The Convenience Module was dry, so I tried changing the battery in the Key Fob as a last ditch hope ...

... turns out that if the battery is dead, the red light on the Key Fob can still activate when the buttons are pushed !

New battery fitted, working like a charm again.

Thanks to all that assisted, appreciate it.