Problems, Problems!..... Advice on what to do please everyone!

b7dan

Reaction score
Hi Everybody

In March i bought a 2008 a4 (b7) sline 170bhp tdi sline.

It has been back at the garage many times under warranty for a perfomance issue which showed up a 'turbo underboost' fault code.

To remedy the fault the garage has changed the turbo for a new one (didnt fix it but thanks anyway!) egr valve, dpf regen, fuel tank dropped and cleaned.

At this point the car still went into limp mode so they said they would take it to Audi direct, apparranty Audi said it was some manifold valves which were sticking and have now been replaced.

I have now been driving the car for about 200 miles and the limp mode has not happened and no fault codes, however, the car is now noticeably slower (to me) the turbo is spinning up nicely but i would say its accellerating more like a 130 than a 170 now.

I dont know much about these cars but i have a sneaky suspicion that to stop it going into limp mode they may have mapped it down so it never gets to the point of going wrong. Is this possible or am i just being paranoid?!

I would much rather have a working slower car than a faster broken one! (although the accelleration was lovely before)

My next issue is that a chunk of paint has now come off the bonnet and is flaking off in large chunks and leaving a huge primer coloured patch behind, there are also a couple of stonechips on the bonnet which have started speading out in the same way, the garage have said they will touch them up but i cant see it looking any good, do you think they should be reponsible for sorting the bonnet out or am i just unlucky?!

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, this whole thing is getting the better of me!

Thanks in advance

Dan

Why not get an inde to do another diagnostic check and put it on a rolling road performance check.Perhaps they can also advise on whether the bonnet has a problem.Maybe a bit late but if its been wrong from the start it could have been rejected as unsuitable

Possible the actuator has not been set up properly on the new turbo so not boosting correctly, also think I'd be checking that they've fitted the correct turbo too.

Maybe the car had been chipped and you didnt know, now its been to Audi they have plugged in the lap top and cleared faults etc and uploaded latest engine software and the engine has now returned to its std state of tune?

Then again maybe just maybe your car is running as it should be and was possibly tuned before the work was carried out, My thoughts on performance is that the 170 is not as quick as you think (my avants a 170 and my ex bought a 140 saloon and we were both coming off a slip road after collecting hers and i was only matching its performance not all over it or able to pass thats for sure)

Thanks for the pointers guys, i had thought that possibly it had been mapped in the past and thats probably why it was running like a bag of poo, its now much smother on the boost and actually plenty fast enough!, as my wife said last night ' stop your ****** winging about the car, you are only supposed to do 70 anyway!'

Spoke to the garage thismorning and they are having it in to respray the bonnet properly next week...

I can see that the turbo is definately brand new, and that it is from 'essex turbos' any good??!

Thanks again

Dan