S3 Overheating

I

imported_Jamesh

Hi

My 2000 s3 with 55k has just started to overheat. I've checked the fuses for the cooling fans and also checked theres no coolant returning to the expansion bottle as suggested from other posts. A number of people have told me its most likely the plastic impeller on the water pump broken. The cars booked in to have the water pump, cambelt and tensioners changed tommorrow.

Have I made the right move by booking it in to have the work done or should I have investigate it further. Its alot of money if the only problem is a thermostat

Any help would be really grateful

Cheers

James

I've also had this too. It sounds like the water pump impeller especially if no water or a poor flow of water is returning to the header.

Mine held the correct temp at idle but rose rapidly when driven hard or up hill if that helps but it depends on how bad the impeller has become.

Mine was just cracked so it was still turning in some capacity but i've seen some which have completely disintergrated.

If your lucky/ unlucky, you may see some black plastic fragments in your water bottle.

You may as well have the cambelt and tensioners done at the same time as you have said.

Its the most likely cause!

Totally agree with nervous.

The day I first collected my 02, 50k S3 from the Audi dealer I managed to drive about 6 miles until I reached a section of dual carriage way, accelerated lightly, 20 seconds later the water temp light and buzzer was going. Obviously a little displeased with the dealer it was returned sharpish. Everytime i accelerated the temperature rose like the needle was almost attached to the rev counter.

The car would idle fine and drive in town fine but then over heat very quickly.

It was the water pump, the impeller had come adrift. I would say you made the right decision.