Intercooler upgrades....OEM+ ?

Icarus83

Reaction score
When funds allow next year I am planning on heading down the BV43 Turbocharger route for my 1.9 TDi Quattro.

From what I have learnt so far, I understand I will need a new oil return as it is slightly different, the intercooler upgrading to maximise the charging and the car mapped to the new turbo.

I've been looking at the various OEM twin SMIC setups from the 2.5 TDi and the 1.8T (the one with twin sidemounts. I'm assuming they are the 190 spec ones!?! BEX engine?). Is there any benefit to me fitting a SMICs into each wing, over a single FMIC other than a slightly smoother/simpler flow path?

Thinking about the arrangement of where an O/S intercooler would sit and its close proximity to the turbocharger's location, it would make a sensible route in my mind to come straight out of the TC into the O/S SMIC, across the bottom of the engine bay using the existing metal duct and continue along the existing charged air route.

Therefore its using the empty space in front of the drivers front wheel, rather than butcher the front bumper to fit a FMIC. I guess the OEM bits will bolt straight on and its only the silicone tubing that will need to be 'adjusted'....

2.5 TDi's kit setup: http://www.partscats.info/audi/en/?...249&bf=14590&hgug=145&ug=45&parent_id=1005766

1.8T twin setup: http://www.partscats.info/audi/en/?...249&bf=14586&hgug=145&ug=45&parent_id=1005723

Both have OEM air guides available from the foglight grills too......

My other question is; would there be any benefit from the second intercooler on a system without the bigger turbo? I again assume a custom map would give you somewhere between the 170 bhp on my Revo map and the approx 210 bhp from a FMIC'd BV43. but probably not much more than the 170??

Any suggestions/input would be much appreciated!

My plan is to collect together all the parts I need bit by bit so I can, for example, prefit the new intercooler and plumb it in well in advance. Therefore all I would need to do is bolt a new turbo (& return) on and get it mapped.

Cheers,
Rob