Vibration at 70-80mph

Greg-S3

Reaction score
As per the title, at cruising speeds my steering wheel vibrates slightly and I can feel it through the floor and my seat etc. anyone else suffered from this? It's worse only when turning left or right but present in a straight line (nearly un noticeable) but really bad when turning left ! Any ideas?

As per the title, at cruising speeds my steering wheel vibrates slightly and I can feel it through the floor and my seat etc. anyone else suffered from this? It's worse only when turning left or right but present in a straight line (nearly un noticeable) but really bad when turning left ! Any ideas?

Most likely one of the front wheels needs balancing.

check wheel bolts are tight, are you running spacers?

Would it be worse when turning though dude?

Can be yes. Could also be a cv joint. Have you visually inspected the cv joint boots for splits or leaking grease?

Cheapest thing to rule out first is getting the wheels balanced. But you can swap the wheels front to back and see if the steering wheel wobble improves.

Can be yes. Could also be a cv joint. Have you visually inspected the cv joint boots for splits or leaking grease?

Cheapest thing to rule out first is getting the wheels balanced. But you can swap the wheels front to back and see if the steering wheel wobble improves.

Boots and joints are good, it's just had a new NSF driveshaft. I'll get the wheels swapped see how I get on. Can over tightened wheel nuts cause a wobble?

Boots and joints are good, it's just had a new NSF driveshaft. I'll get the wheels swapped see how I get on. Can over tightened wheel nuts cause a wobble?

Unlikely. Did the problem start immediately after after the new driveshaft was fitted?

Very common problem now on both the s3 and rs3

Unlikely. Did the problem start immediately after after the new driveshaft was fitted?

I'd like to say yes but I'm not 100% sure if I'm honest! I might see if gsf will give me another driveshaft cause it even feels like the left hand front! But the new shaft and joints felt good before I fitted it. Only thing I found different was the diameter was thicker than the original I removed.

I'd like to say yes but I'm not 100% sure if I'm honest! I might see if gsf will give me another driveshaft cause it even feels like the left hand front! But the new shaft and joints felt good before I fitted it. Only thing I found different was the diameter was thicker than the original I removed.

Hmm, I had a similar problem after fitting a J&R solid driveshaft to my Mk4 Golf. It caused a slight wobble at speed and a horrendous vibration under acceleration.

I don't know who makes the driveshaft you have bought, but the ones I tried didn't have thrust and spring washers, there was no give at all, and they were out of balance. Also a solid driveshaft will transmit more vibration than a hollow one.

I'm my experience most aftermarket driveshafts and joints are crap! What made you replace the whole driveshaft rather then putting a new joint on the old one?

Hmm, I had a similar problem after fitting a J&R solid driveshaft to my Mk4 Golf. It caused a slight wobble at speed and a horrendous vibration under acceleration.

I don't know who makes the driveshaft you have bought, but the ones I tried didn't have thrust and spring washers, there was no give at all, and they were out of balance. Also a solid driveshaft will transmit more vibration than a hollow one.

I'm my experience most aftermarket driveshafts and joints are crap! What made you replace the whole driveshaft rather then putting a new joint on the old one?

Being a lazy sod made me change the whole thing! It's meant to be OE quality! I'll get onto them tomorrow

Being a lazy sod made me change the whole thing! It's meant to be OE quality! I'll get onto them tomorrow

If you still have the old one and didn't do an exchange, I would rebuild the old one at your leisure and get it back on the car.

The original driveshafts (made by GKN) are much better than the Chinese cheap aftermarket stuff.

If you still have the old one and didn't do an exchange, I would rebuild the old one at your leisure and get it back on the car.

The original driveshafts (made by GKN) are much better than the Chinese cheap aftermarket stuff.

Shaft was exchange dude :( doubt they'd still have it either as it was a few weeks ago! I did wonder why it was so much thicker than my original when it arrived, if I'm honest, if I want **** cheap parts I go to euro car parts, for better quality I use GSF!

Shaft was exchange dude :( doubt they'd still have it either as it was a few weeks ago! I did wonder why it was so much thicker than my original when it arrived, if I'm honest, if I want **** cheap parts I go to euro car parts, for better quality I use GSF!

Both GSF & Euro sell OEM & Cheap stuff, wouldn't really say one was better than the other.

I would still swap your wheels round just to eliminate that first, if it doesn't help I would take the driveshaft back to GSF and give them some grief. If you took in a genuine hollow shaft on exchange, you should be getting a rebuilt genuine hollow shaft from them.

You may know this already, but if you turn the front wheels hard lock right you can remove the NSF driveshaft without undoing the ball joint or track rod.

Both GSF & Euro sell OEM & Cheap stuff, wouldn't really say one was better than the other.

I would still swap your wheels round just to eliminate that first, if it doesn't help I would take the driveshaft back to GSF and give them some grief. If you took in a genuine hollow shaft on exchange, you should be getting a rebuilt genuine hollow shaft from them.

You may know this already, but if you turn the front wheels hard lock right you can remove the NSF driveshaft without undoing the ball joint or track rod.

Question mate, should it be a skinny hollow shaft or are the skinny and solid from the factory? NSF!
Mate you've been a fountain if knowledge and I'm genuinely grateful! We use them a lot for work so I'll get them to get me another shaft.

Question mate, should it be a skinny hollow shaft or are the skinny and solid from the factory? NSF!
Mate you've been a fountain if knowledge and I'm genuinely grateful! We use them a lot for work so I'll get them to get me another shaft.

All S3 driveshafts were hollow and 'fat' not skinny.

Hapen to have a genuine one and cheap Chinese one in my garage, here's a picture, genuine one doesn't have the outer joint on:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 337
Also, not a good picture (iPad camera) but note the lack of thrust and spring washer on the cheap shaft. Totally solid.

All S3 driveshafts were hollow and 'fat' not skinny.

Hapen to have a genuine one and cheap Chinese one in my garage, here's a picture, genuine one doesn't have the outer joint on:

Right, well the one I took off my car was genuine and skinny, if I remember right it was longer than those to? Are they fronts or rears?

they are fronts, the rears are skinny and solid

Right, well the one I took off my car was genuine and skinny, if I remember right it was longer than those to? Are they fronts or rears?

They are both near side fronts.

Here is a pic of an off side front. Not sure what you took off yours, if they didn't look like these maybe they were already aftermarket? :uhm:

They are both near side fronts.

Here is a pic of an off side front. Not sure what you took off yours, if they didn't look like these maybe they were already aftermarket? :uhm:

View attachment 36177

Maybe someone fitted a rear to my front at some point? It was genuine still had the VW Audi sticker on it!
How long are your NSF drive shafts? From end to end including the cv joints etc?

Maybe someone fitted a rear to my front at some point? It was genuine still had the VW Audi sticker on it!
How long are your NSF drive shafts? From end to end including the cv joints etc?

Do you have the OE part number by any chance? I assume the s3 driveshaft is bespoke to the s3 as it's Quattro!

According to ETKA there was a revised NSF driveshaft:

Early one: 1J0407451HX
Late one: 8N0407451 X

Did your look like the bottom one in this picture:

top one is surely the osf and the bottom one nsf

I get this vibration at 70+ on my S3. I put it down to the fact I'm running spacers and also my tracking is out.

Hi, new to the forums and to Audis.

Just swapped a Mokka for an A3 Quattro and I am very impressed, better fuel consumption, handling, feel, ride .... I could go on.

I have noticed that there is a vibration through the seat at around 55 to 65 mph. I have had the wheels balanced, only the front ones were done. As it is a Quattro should all 4 wheels be balanced at the same time?

Any suggestions would be great, thanks