audi a3 1.6tdi s tronic gearbox remap ( already tuned)

I get where your coming from Gaz. But on the flip side, why do I have to contribute to the scheme where someone can drive away a £25K car when a £6K Dacia sandero would do exactly the same job.

And back to the topic of this thread, why should tuning be allowed, especially when said tuning which "will" destroy the clutches on a DSG box in time, and then have the maintenance of that broken gearbox then also be covered by the tax payer ?

An believe me, I know how the scheme works. It's all documented if you take the time to read it.

http://www.motability.co.uk/understanding-the-scheme/how-it-works/

One of the key bits of the mobility scheme is the Statement of Responsibilities document and what is term mis-use of the vehicle. http://www.motability.co.uk/understanding-the-scheme/use-of-your-car/

Not taking proper care of your car is one of them. I would argue tuning a car to the point where it's obviously affecting the drivetrain... is not taking proper care of your car.

Reactions: s33nyboy12
To me, Motability is fair, if, and only if, an abled-bodied person can have exactly the same deal. As far as my reading goes that is £1.9k down and £56/week (or around £242/month if you do the maths). For this, you can get an a A3 1.6 Sport auto.

Best I could find with a quick look was this one: Audi A3 1.6 TDI Sport S Tronic: Contract Hire and Car Lease from £229.95 which (if the values are kept) is £1755 down plus £292/month.

So, yes, it's "unfair" by around £50/month... Is it worth arguing about?

To me, Motability is fair, if, and only if, an abled-bodied person can have exactly the same deal. As far as my reading goes that is £1.9k down and £56/week (or around £242/month if you do the maths). For this, you can get an a A3 1.6 Sport auto.

Best I could find with a quick look was this one: Audi A3 1.6 TDI Sport S Tronic: Contract Hire and Car Lease from £229.95 which (if the values are kept) is £1755 down plus £292/month.

So, yes, it's "unfair" by around £50/month... Is it worth arguing about?

Your forgetting the free insurance, free maintainence, free tyres etc. It's not £50/month difference. It's more like £300 a month difference.

Your forgetting the free insurance, free maintainence, free tyres etc. It's not £50/month difference. It's more like £300 a month difference.
I'm on a fully maintained lease hire with my Skoda (yes, tyres are covered). Cost is an extra £16/month. Last time I looked, insurance on an A3 wasn't £235/month :)

I get where your coming from Gaz. But on the flip side, why do I have to contribute to the scheme where someone can drive away a £25K car when a £6K Dacia sandero would do exactly the same job.

And back to the topic of this thread, why should tuning be allowed, especially when said tuning which "will" destroy the clutches on a DSG box in time, and then have the maintenance of that broken gearbox then also be covered by the tax payer ?

An believe me, I know how the scheme works. It's all documented if you take the time to read it.

http://www.motability.co.uk/understanding-the-scheme/how-it-works/

One of the key bits of the mobility scheme is the Statement of Responsibilities document and what is term mis-use of the vehicle. http://www.motability.co.uk/understanding-the-scheme/use-of-your-car/

Not taking proper care of your car is one of them. I would argue tuning a car to the point where it's obviously affecting the drivetrain... is not taking proper care of your car.

Well, for one, the 25k car as you call it would need a down payment of about 8k and a higher monthly allowance which would need to be covered by the person, so the difference between the "6k" car and the "25k" car would be the deposit which the person would have to pay, and will not get it back.

As for the tuning side, he has already stated, if he adapts the car in anyway shape or form, he is reliable for any failures that occur due to these misuses and will be liable to pay for them himself, and not the "tax payer" as you keep putting... And as for maintenance, tyres, insurance.. Once again, how is this different to a personal hire lease? Or a companies car?

All the scheme does, is help disabled people (who have met the highest disability allowance criteria, which if you read the criteria im sure you will be surprised) to be able to get on the road, with the price of their disability living allowance (which could otherwise be used for other things related to disability needs).

Well, for one, the 25k car as you call it would need a down payment of about 8k and a higher monthly allowance which would need to be covered by the person, so the difference between the "6k" car and the "25k" car would be the deposit which the person would have to pay, and will not get it back.
Staying firmly on the fence with this one, but those are nowhere near the figures quoted on motability.co.uk. It's ~£2k down and £56/week which are the numbers I quoted in the post above.