Youngest and Oldest S3 Owners

What age bracket are you S3 owners in

• Total voters
It depends how the poll was set up :) x

OK thanks. I'm sure I set it to display usernames and indeed it did so until I voted myself and then they were no longer visible.

Just for completeness (as I said I would give my age once I saw the lay of the land), I am a young 61 years, 8 and a bit months old. As someone has voted 70+, I guess I won't be the oldest S3 owner. I'm surprised by the number of over 60's that have voted.

Thanks to those that have participated.

Reactions: Sandra
Around the beginning of the year I started a poll about which model of A3 people on the forum selected. The key words there are "people on this forum." It is hardly surprising that the majority of the people who replied are A3 S-line drivers. Even though Audi expect to sell more A3 SE models than any other. There was less than 10% SE drivers in the poll. Maybe SE cars are mostly bought as company cars and the drivers just are not that into their cars.

My point is - this poll on the age of S3 drivers may be as much about internet/smart phone usage demographics as it is about S3 ownership. The older generations (who do not work in IT) are much less likely to read/post on internet forums. So there could be a lot more older S3 drivers.

Though I have to say - respect to the 70+ who owns an S3 and is IT literate.

The one thing that is surprising me is the amount of 20 somethings that have S3's. I thought the purchase cost and insurance would have been prohibitive. I actually expected 40+ to be the largest group. "Life begins at forty","mid life crisis" and all that.

Last edited:
Would it be true to say that most under 30 purchases are made on PCP?

Would it be true to say that most under 30 purchases are made on PCP?
Almost certainly but I would never dream of paying 35k cash for a car, that could be used (and has) to invest in my business and make me far more money than the monthly payments on the S3.
I think I'd cry if I paid out that much on something that was going to depreciate so quickly.
Just my opinion of course :)

It is horses for courses, but PCP at a low APR is an affordable way to get behind an expensive car!

And you are right, why sink your money into a depreciating asset :)

It is horses for courses, but PCP at a low APR is an affordable way to get behind an expensive car!

That's exactly my thinking, I love my cars and want to drive something nice but can't bring myself to sink that much money into one so PCP works for me.

Others will always rather pay outright, but it takes all sorts to make the world go round :)

I bought most of my cars on mix of PCP / cash and HP when I was younger. Depended on the car purchase cost. As stuff I wanted got more expensive I moved to PCP.

HP actually I always found good because it seemed to keep plenty of cash in the car. One day I cashed it all in and went down PCP route for my Golf GTI.

How old is PCP financing ? When I started looking at buying new cars in 2002 I never remember it being offered and then around 2004 I remember it seemed to be the main way. Long time ago now mind! I forget!

It's often said that you should lease depreciating assets, and PCP is effectively a type of lease the way most folk use them.

It's often said that you should lease depreciating assets, and PCP is effectively a type of lease the way most folk use them.

I work in finance and I have seen millionaires use Ferrari / Lambo PCP. Same logic. Just a lot more £££££££.

OK thanks. I'm sure I set it to display usernames and indeed it did so until I voted myself and then they were no longer visible.

Just for completeness (as I said I would give my age once I saw the lay of the land), I am a young 61 years, 8 and a bit months old. As someone has voted 70+, I guess I won't be the oldest S3 owner. I'm surprised by the number of over 60's that have voted.

Thanks to those that have participated.

Won't let me vote, only just seen the pole as did not display on tapatalk

25 when I collected, now 26. First ever S3 (or Audi for that matter) and loving it!!

Exactly the same as me when I got my s3 8p model. 2 weeks ago I collected my second audi and s3, although now I'm in a saloon. More grown up now im33!lol

Reactions: DolbyS3
My first S3 was ordered a couple of weeks after my 40th birthday... get it in another three months :'(

Ordering mine next year more then likely and I will be 26!

anyway age has nothing to do with your money, people spend money in different ways and some earn good money in there 20's just as much as some 40 year olds!

First s3 8p at 22! Just ordered a new s3 8v at the weekend hopefully get delivery in October/November and am 24

Just to add to the number of over-60's who have voted - re REB154's point above :)

Daz Auto also makes a very valid point regarding the internet/smart phone usage demographic vs S3 ownership. Although not working in IT, I would suggest that most 'older' S3 owners, probably are computer literate, but yes, are less likely to read and post on internet forums. They're too busy enjoying their cars ;)

36 both me and the missis. I work as a consultant in manufacturing, she's a GP. Hence we run two cars, 'hers' right now is a Boxster GTS. We've had mainly Audi's and Porsches the last few years, including a Cayman S, TTS and TTRS. Had an RS4 when we only needed the one car. Bought the current S3 mainly as a stop gap to the new RS3 or maybe another RS4 later next year and hopefully if I can convince madam to do some more private work, we will be getting our first 911, but not another ****** soft top (will cross that obstacle when we get there, LOL!)

Just a thought guys - how on earth are you under 25's getting insured on new S3's? Lad who works for me is 24 and just bought himself a new Focus ST, he's paying over two grand a year just for that and had a lot of trouble with some insurers even getting a quote... just wondering like...

Our company insurance broker knows he needs to make sure I don't have an issue with getting covered. I just make sure not to take this **** ;)

Just a thought guys - how on earth are you under 25's getting insured on new S3's? Lad who works for me is 24 and just bought himself a new Focus ST, he's paying over two grand a year just for that and had a lot of trouble with some insurers even getting a quote... just wondering like...

Been insuring S3's for the past 7 years, since I was 19 and never had a issue with insurance. Most I paid is about £1,200. Currently looks to be around the £400 mark doing 6k PA.

I just had insurance renewal yesterday, £279.60 for me aged 23 10k PA. I have to say i was pretty stunned to get it that low but these cars arent un-insureable for young people like a lot of people think.

But paying over 2K for car insurance is almost criminal, in my whole 6 years of driving i have never paid over 1K.

it would be interesting to see how many are buying their own car and how many paid cash (including a part ex) and own their new purchase from collection.

I just had insurance renewal yesterday, £279.60 for me aged 23 10k PA. I have to say i was pretty stunned to get it that low but these cars arent un-insureable for young people like a lot of people think.

But paying over 2K for car insurance is almost criminal, in my whole 6 years of driving i have never paid over 1K.

My best for renewal was £350 with diamond haha and yes they insure men ! Who was your quote through?

My best for renewal was £350 with diamond haha and yes they insure men ! Who was your quote through?

Interestingly mine was also with Diamond, they called me after doing a quote on a comparison site and then better the price i got on there by £100. I didnt even realise they did men now as well....but thought for a saving of that amount i would go with them. They are part of the same group as Elephant and Admiral which i have had good experience with in the past.

I'm 36 and mine's just over £300 pa with 10 years NCB and no points on the S3. That's with Esure. I could get cheaper, but the cover I have is very good and I'm not risking going with Swift Cover and alike. I know people who've had all sorts of problems with insurers like that. Go back ten years guys and you'd had paid silly money to insure a performance car. When I was 25 I was paying a couple of grand a year to insure the boxster S I had... Most insurers wouldn't even give you cover aged under 25. But I must say, I can not believe some of the figures being quoted - that's in a literal sense of course! I know where you live and what you do for a living makes a big difference to the figure you pay, but part of me does wonder why insurance is so low for young drivers. Knowing what I was like at 25, I wouldn't have let me near a fast car... thanks for the replies all the same. Cheers.

Interestingly mine was also with Diamond, they called me after doing a quote on a comparison site and then better the price i got on there by £100. I didnt even realise they did men now as well....but thought for a saving of that amount i would go with them. They are part of the same group as Elephant and Admiral which i have had good experience with in the past.

Cheers, will sort it out closer to the time, it's up in a few weeks. My only issue is that I'll be swapping it over to my new S3 in November and don't want to get stung, etc.

I'm 36 and mine's just over £300 pa with 10 years NCB and no points on the S3. That's with Esure. I could get cheaper, but the cover I have is very good and I'm not risking going with Swift Cover and alike. I know people who've had all sorts of problems with insurers like that. Go back ten years guys and you'd had paid silly money to insure a performance car. When I was 25 I was paying a couple of grand a year to insure the boxster S I had... Most insurers wouldn't even give you cover aged under 25. But I must say, I can not believe some of the figures being quoted - that's in a literal sense of course! I know where you live and what you do for a living makes a big difference to the figure you pay, but part of me does wonder why insurance is so low for young drivers. Knowing what I was like at 25, I wouldn't have let me near a fast car... thanks for the replies all the same. Cheers.

Insurance drops considerably when your first starting out. I paid like £2,200 on a 1.2 Punto S for my first car, 2 years later I had a 8L S3 and it was around £1,200 quid and owned S3's since then and it's gone down every single year.

Had my 1st S3 8P when I was 21 and now ordered a brand new S3 Saloon at 23 but i will be 24 by time it arrives.

that's not cos I've ordered a saloon and the waiting times are ridiculous but cos I'm 24 within the next month lol

I'm 28 collecting my first S3 next month had my current A3 8p for the last seven years! Where is this poll? Why can't I see it?

I saw two 8P S3's back when they were brand new with an old couple driving them, couldn't help but think they had no idea what they have and the salesman persuaded them, drove so softly! Can't imagine a 70+ driver in an 8V S3.

How old do I sound?..or type rather.

Reactions: pat15312
I saw two 8P S3's back when they were brand new with an old couple driving them, couldn't help but think they had no idea what they have and the salesman persuaded them, drove so softly! Can't imagine a 70+ driver in an 8V S3.

How old do I sound?..or type rather.

Each to their own, I'd love to still have a fast car at that age. That's the plan now anyways!

Paid cash on both audi's A1 and now A3, because,Some of the new car deals' are a joke put down a huge deposit, pay a small monthly payment for 3 years then have to come up with another huge sum. Must work for some people.. I always worry about what happens if ccircumstances are reduced.. can't do without the car, but the payments could be crippling. At least if it's a car you own outright it's not going to get repossessed

Ahh that would be why then many thanks Mr Challinor

Reactions: The Challinor
Each to their own, I'd love to still have a fast car at that age. That's the plan now anyways!
I don't have an S3 but I do have a A3 2.0TDI-184 Sport quattro s-tronic and I will soon be 67. I'm sure my next car in around 3 years time will be a very similar model.