some advice required please.

hawkins66

Reaction score
I am about to potentially purchase an A4 04 2.5tdi se multitronic 64k on the clock it was my late relatives and has been sitting in locked garage for 4 years and only started 3 times in that period, i have put a new battery on it and it started after 4 turns and seems to drive ok, gearbox smooth, and brakes seem ok, it had a cambelt change at 62k along with water pump so apart from an oil change and general service requirements should i look for any specific things, once it was warm i did give it quite a good rev when idling and it sounded a little rattly at high revs and madr a sort of whooshing noise which sounded a like it was perhaps coming from the air filter hose, anyway its £2k a good buy? Or walk away? Any advice would be appreciated many thanks

Thanks, Sorry to sound dumb, any reason why? Would it have perished? Or just got tense on the pulleys, what would be the price for that around 400?

It had a cambelt change at 62k does it need another as its 4 years later even thoughh its only done 2k since its last one, sorry to sound a little vague thanks

Hi mate

A belt left tensioned in one place for so long is going to stress.

I,m a Ducati nut and if you dont run the engine (go for a decent drive) for 6-12months you put new belts on.

For the amount the car is costing you, you would be mad not to change the belt

plus 4 years or 60,000 miles whichever comes first.
4 years is up.

Sorry but you did ask.
Give me their number and i will buy it ;)

Reactions: Sandra
Ok cobra thanks for the advice and new cambelt it will be cheers

Thanks for that much appreciated, the car is mint, shame it hasnt got leather but for £2k like u say its a bargain.

Seen a couple of nice leather interiors on a popular auction site recently

A set of sport alacantra on now for £340
Full leather is great but needs heating and not seen many A4's with seat heating.

Alacantra for me stops me sliding around and much warmer in winter (i had S3 heated Recaros in my A3)
Which are almost identical to the S4 ones.
I found them slightly too wide so keps sliding around on them.

I had a look on there and noted the prices were pretty good, ill get the cambelt done first and an oil change, handbrake needs sorting and an mot, should be good to go then, ill gey some quotes for a cambelt tomorrow,ive got a spare £1k so it should be all sorted with tax and have some change left thanks for your advice

Full leather is great but needs heating and not seen many A4's with seat heating.

Alacantra for me stops me sliding around and much warmer in winter

Mine has full electric, heated, cloth front seats.
But my car isn't for sale. Maybe next year she will be.

Hawkins66.....these are good engines if maintained properly. Make sure you change the timing belt tensioner, about £100 for this part alone! Especially as it's been stood for so long. Water pump is an excellent idea at the same time whilst the engine is in bit and pump exposed. Use a genuine kit if funds permit. I got all mine from Audi Leeds for £350 but that was with discount. Should be around £500 for the full genuine kit. Also, whoever fits it, make sure they time up the fuel pump correctly. Not just mark it with white paint once all lined up to TDC. VCDS is used to time the pump up.

Depending on where you are in the country, Adams24 is the man to speak to about servicing these engines. He will fit the timing belt and time it all correctly. People can't rate Chris and his work enough! He is based in London.

Good luck and welcome to the darkside.

Dan