Audi A3 Battery Issues

Dale5

Reaction score
We have a 2012 A3 TDI with 17800 miles. The car failed to start. Audi roadside tried to jump the battery but failed. We had it towed to the dealership. After "diagnosis" they said the battery would not hold a charge and they had to replace. Is this normal at 2 years and under 18k miles? We are worried it could be something else. Dealer was not very helpful. Any help appreciated.

If they've replaced it with a new battery, keep an eye on it with a multi meter. If it starts struggling to hold charge again, there may be something that's draining the battery.

2 years isn't great for a battery, I think places usually quote 4 years average life span and I've had several that have lasted a lot more. It's worth having the biggest battery that will fit in for a TDI as it takes a fair bit more amps to start than a petrol. As above i'd keep an eye on it and if you've got a multimeter then you can check for a parasitic drain on the battery (you can get a cheap multimeter for less than a fiver off eBay that'll do the job if you need one). Any more than 50mA or so is too much of a drain if you do end up checking it. Plenty of videos online of how to do it.

lol they had to tow it for diagnostics to find the battery wouldn't hold charge? Thats a pretty simple roadside test.

lol they had to tow it for diagnostics to find the battery wouldn't hold charge? Thats a pretty simple roadside test.

I thought that lol.

Anyway, I ask with haste but you're not done owt daft and left the stereo on all day whilst out of the vehicle.. etc? (I've done this countless times)..

It could possibly be a fault with the alternator, or connections to/from the alternator. If you know of any shops near you that retail batterys etc, you could get them to do a load test. Or possibly a garage could do a swap test? New battery or old, it won't charge fully if you're alternator is faulty.

Hope this helps.

I thought that lol.

Anyway, I ask with haste but you're not done owt daft and left the stereo on all day whilst out of the vehicle.. etc? (I've done this countless times)..

It could possibly be a fault with the alternator, or connections to/from the alternator. If you know of any shops near you that retail batterys etc, you could get them to do a load test. Or possibly a garage could do a swap test? New battery or old, it won't charge fully if you're alternator is faulty.

Hope this helps.

You could invest in a multimeter with a current clamp. Should be less than £50. Switch everything off and put the clamp around the cable from the battery. It will tell you how much current is being drawn. If it's more than it should be you can then try all the electrical switches on the car one at a time. If switching something on like the heated rear window does not increase the current then that suggests it's on all the time and is the source of the battery drain.

If the current flow is as it should be then look to the alternator and its connections.

The current clamp avoids having to touch or disconnect any live electrical items which I would avoid doing.

Good luck