Front mounts about to go on, silfab 2

J Eyo

Polo GTI (6) R
Reaction score
So got myself a beautiful 600x300x76 with 2.5"in/out, I'm going to grab silfab 2 flexible 2ply 400c rated silicone hose for my pipe work (will let everyone know how this turns out) my main question is, Id of the intercooler in/out 63mm but outer is 66mm, if I order 63mm silfab won't I have a hell of a time sliding this over the cooler in/out, would 70mm piping be better so it slides over much easier and I can clamp it down nice and tight? Or will this larger pipe work cause a severe pressure drop?

I wouldnt go 70mm id, the excess wont compress well and may leave gaps. Aldo last thing you want is it popping off every 5 mins.
Needs to be tight so struggling to get it on would be better.
How flexible is this stuff?
Your buying enough to go from outlets ob the cooler straight to oem?

Ok good advice, I'll grab about 2 meters of it. I'm going from the charge pipe to cooler cooler to tb (map pipe in the middle, the 63mm forge one) not sure how much it'll stretch, may have to experiment with it and see what I can do! It's called silfab 2 google it and you'll see what I'm dealing with. It doesn't look very stretchy at all, very very flexible though

Yeh, the only thing bothering me is its 2 ply.
Ebay pipe gets slated for being 3 ply and not 5 ply like the branded stuff.
How does this stuff cope with pressure?
I like your thinking nice smooth bends with no joins.
Ill take a peek at it properly asap
Hiw did you come across it

From the product descriptions it's used mostly in industrial setups and usually under high pressure. I spoke to a distributor here in aus and was told it could stand pressurisation far beyond any car turbo could throw at it sooo for the $60ish it'll cost me why not, just hope it fits! There was a fellow running it on a b5 without issue but there's not much info on the install. Figured it's super easy DIY, I can keep my fogs no problem

Last edited:
Are you sure its 66m? did you measure the swaged end rather than the main part of the outlet? 66mm is not a std size... I don't know any intercooler that doesn't use std size fittings... if its sold as a 2.5" outlet intercooler then 63mm (ID) silicon hoses will be what you want... its a squeeze over the swaged end but thats so that when the clamp is tight it won't walk off the outlet under boost

<tuffty/>

Aaahh yep you are right, in my excitement of receiving it and it being black I didn't even notice.! It's going to be a squeeeeze and a half I'll lube it up and see how the silfab pipes fit! Aaaalso the original map pipe, should I consider using this or get a 63mm map housing? Forge have theirs but it'll be about $80 shipped which is annoying for a piece of pipe, and on a random side note the forge adjustable actuator, worth it?

Different sites seems to suggest different things for silfab.

Is is smooth inside? One site I found suggested it was wire spiral reinforces inside like the neoprene ducting we use for ducting air.

Aaahh yep you are right, in my excitement of receiving it and it being black I didn't even notice.! It's going to be a squeeeeze and a half I'll lube it up and see how the silfab pipes fit! Aaaalso the original map pipe, should I consider using this or get a 63mm map housing? Forge have theirs but it'll be about $80 shipped which is annoying for a piece of pipe, and on a random side note the forge adjustable actuator, worth it?

Use a little washing up liquid as lube... hairspray works too (old BMX handlebar grip trick)

Forget the Forge actuators... they are absolute rubbish... plus any uprated actuator you fit will lead to potential rod bending boost spikes etc as the map doesn't know its there and will over shoot boost request as its mapped for a lesser rated actuator

Map tube won't make any difference in the grand scheme of things and the OE one is good enough until you are pushing towards 400hp in which case you would be looking at revising all the charge pipework anyway to get the best out of it

<tuffty/>

It has a wire reinforcement around the whole thing making it extremely sturdy but very flexible and most importantly it is smooth inside. first pic is the silfab 1, the other pic shows the whole pipe work, third pick is the same product, but silfab 2, extra layer of internal silicone, Silfab 1 KGrHqJHJFUFHzfwG0PgBSDf0QZQ60 1Silfab 2 also just measured up my intercooler, 600x280x76 2.5 in out, its not 300mm, interesting, is this a standard size or does it seem like it could be a custom job? bought it second hand, very beautifully made, great welds, really solid construction, was told it was going on a skyline 34 but the project was scrapped so it went up for bidding. got myself a $60 intercooler, winning. And shmeh, I just found a 2.5 stainless map pipe with flange for $20, may as well, and I have the option of moving it somewhere a bit more accessible if i want.

Last edited:
next q, found t clamps that say inner diameter of 63mm, but then always in brackets (67-75) er, stupid question, should i get 2.25 t clamps?

Measure the od of the pipe and makebsure the clamps adjust within that size of course.
also are those dimensions overall or core?

Don't buy t-bolt clamps as they are not as good as you think... almost every charge pipe setup I have seen using those leaks or have crushed pipes... they have no feel as to when they are tight.. you use a socket or spanner to do them up and you either under tighten or over tighten as a result..

JCS Hi-Grip stainless steel clips are about the best all-rounder clip on the market... you can feel when they go tight before getting the click of death... they will quite happily hold over 2bar of boost

Size wise you take the ID of hose you are using then add approx 8mm (2 x silicon wall thickness) to that for clip size... 63mm ID hose typically needs a size 70 or 80 JCS clip depending on wall thickness

<tuffty/>

excellent, thanks! also I noticed your original ah fabs v1 install (the black one), you left the horns where they are, my intercooler is 280mm tall, would I be able to leave the horn and bracket where it is? would make things much easier for me

excellent, thanks! also I noticed your original ah fabs v1 install (the black one), you left the horns where they are, my intercooler is 280mm tall, would I be able to leave the horn and bracket where it is? would make things much easier for me

Plausibly... you may have to mod the bracket though (this is what I ended up doing)

<tuffty/>