Audi MMI Crashes - thoughts

markjames

Reaction score
Hi all,

I play all of my music from an SD card via MMI. I would say that it freezes at least once a week, at which point I have to remove the SD card, wait a few seconds and put it back in, which then unfreezes the screen and returns everything back to normal.

When its warm, I usually hold my unlock key to wind down the widows whilst I am returning to my car in car parks etc. Yesterday, this action seemed to cause the car's electric window operation to crash - my window buttons became useless as both windows wouldn't go up or down. Turning the car off and on fixed this.

This is by far the most 'technology' lead car I have owned, as I am sure it is for many others here. With this, I think it is fair to expect more bugs, but my thoughts are this, and I welcome other opinions...

1) is there an update for MMI that would reduce the music crashes - I have a very early MY14 model
2) I find it just a little worrying that the electric window operation seemed to crash. If it can happen to that system, I wonder what other 'potential' system crashes could happen - electric steering? ECU?

Its worth saying at this point that this isn't really a complaint - my A3 S-Line is the best car I have ever owned, and it still turns heads and draws comments wherever I go. The 1.6TDI engine has started to come into its own at 10,000 miles too, returning an average of 64.5MPG yesterday on a drive from York to London, costing me £15 :arco:

Anyway, interested if anyone else has observed this...

Reactions: phil1824
Firstly, yes get the MMI updated. Mine is a very early car and I had issues with the nav crashing a few times. It was updated a few months ago, ostensibly to fix an issue with TMC and the clock but has also added a few features and I've not had any crashes since so hopefully it's more solid.

Secondly, you can reboot the MMI by pressing the MENU button, the wheel itself and the top-right soft button simultaneously.

Very interesting. How do you get the updates? Do you have to ask Audi? I guess it is not part of the "recall" system?
Do you have to have it serviced at an Audi Main Dealer to get the update flagged and updated?
Phil

Firstly, yes get the MMI updated. Mine is a very early car and I had issues with the nav crashing a few times. It was updated a few months ago, ostensibly to fix an issue with TMC and the clock but has also added a few features and I've not had any crashes since so hopefully it's more solid.

Secondly, you can reboot the MMI by pressing the MENU button, the wheel itself and the top-right soft button simultaneously.

Basically updates are either applied to fix specific issues you're having or are applied as a matter of course when the vehicle is in for servicing or some other reason. They won't put out a general recall for it as everyone will be booking their cars in and they'll be overwhelmed but, if you ask your dealer and say you want the update applied as you've had a few crashes I'm sure they'll be happy to do it under warranty.

Reactions: phil1824