need a steering ecu part confirmation mfsw please

Geah

Reaction score
hi all

ive got a 2004 audi a3 3.2 quattro 3 door

ive been doing some more mods ive just fitted an sline mfsw at first the airbag plug was wrong so i replaced the slip ring with part number

1K0 959 653 D (type 2)

my steering ecu is

8P0 953 549 A (midline type 1)

ive coded in my cruse control and mfsw there both working fine

but ive been having some issues with the abs and steering angle sensor

ive got the fault

00778 - Steering Angle Sensor (G85)
014 - Defective

ive done basic settings enough times but this time its a fault ive never seen and after reading up

the slip ring is type 2 and the steering ecu is type 1 and my midline shouldnt work with my mfsw ?

so i need the steering ecu

8P0 953 549 F

and this should code in and work properly im just checking as i will goto my breakers and get one tomorrow if thats what i need

thanks in advance

heres a pic of the steering wheel it was removed from a 59 plate sline a3

1924345_10203701298324329_2082661152111552975_n.jpg

Good luck in finding a 'F' module at the scrappy, they are like rocking horse poo!

But yes that's what you need :)

hehe cheers looks like i maybe looking at the traction control and abs light for a while then

no wonder the basic settings wouldnt work thought something was wrong :banghead:

am i right in thinking it has to be the 8P0 and not the 1K0 version as well

Afaik only the 8P0 is highline & the one needed

I need one too! I have 8P0 953 549 (no suffix) and although the steering controls work they are in the wrong orders! I've stopped looking for one for a while, they crop up but at around £80 secondhand I've other things to be bothered with!

Sometimes required to hold the wheel hard over for 10seconds each way when doing basic settings

Yeah I thought so does your cd track change work backwards like down changes up and up changes down like mine then ?

Thought that was a bit strange lol

Yeah I've tried that the fault just says defective

The abs one says it's started a test the one where you usually press the brake pedal hard the light flashes and you do the basic settings but it won't flash when pressing the pedal hard I only bought the mfsw as it looks nice and the price was right really bet it ends up costing me after the slip ring and ecu though lucky te slip ring cost me £20 and is the right one for the F ecu the car didn't have the module fitted eather 👎

The scroll wheels on mine do nothing up & down, you have to press them in - left volume up, right volume down

And the two push buttons, mode moves track up (cd, mp3, radio station) and the voice one moves track down!

I'm used to it! Lol!

Did you remove your current module as the sensor part plugs in on top and may have been damaged or not quite in the right place for it to work?

You've lost the ABS because it also takes readings from the steering sensor, not heard of the pressing brake pedal hard test?!

Once F is fitted all will be well, there is also another Ecu that works and it's an E, it's very early ecu from Late 2005 and changed to an F, I have an E in mine and works perfect.

Mine seems to work as it should really the voice button and mode button do nothing but volume works perfectly on the scroll and the button on the left scroll does change track it's just up goes back and down goes forward to change track I'm off on a hunt in a min too see what I can find , last time I changed the steering ecu and fitted cruse control I had to break hard the abs light flashed and I did a couple of turns with steering at 90 degree I think it was it reset the abs I think I think that because it's saying the steering angle sensor is defective it just won't let me do any tests that's only happend since I changed the slip ring I've read the slip ring I'm useing is a type 2 and the ecu is a type 1 on the Ross tech side I'm not sure how true this is but the F ecu is listed as a type 2 as well

I will repot back later with any finds fingers crossed 😀

The scroll wheels on mine do nothing up & down, you have to press them in - left volume up, right volume down

And the two push buttons, mode moves track up (cd, mp3, radio station) and the voice one moves track down!

I'm used to it! Lol!

Did you remove your current module as the sensor part plugs in on top and may have been damaged or not quite in the right place for it to work?

You've lost the ABS because it also takes readings from the steering sensor, not heard of the pressing brake pedal hard test?!

Cheers rs mate I will bear that in mind on my search today mines the A version at the moment midline worked a treat with cruse control just not with mfsw such a pain finding the bits you need for these mods lol

Once F is fitted all will be well, there is also another Ecu that works and it's an E, it's very early ecu from Late 2005 and changed to an F, I have an E in mine and works perfect.

Result I got an E version from my breakers couldn't find any F versions I've just coded it in the fault went straight away done basic settings on steering angle sensor traction lights gone out I need to do abs fiction test next got too warm sat in the car the traction light flashes when I hold the brake pedal to tell me fiction test has started now though so it should work perfectly thanks for sharing the info lewbo helped me out that pal cheers

No problem mate glad to hear you got it sorted, you was very lucky to get an E module as these are like rocking horse, they were only used for 6 months before changing to an F

The car was very pov spec it looked like SE spec I was a bit weary but that's the closest one he had to the F version I wouldn't of thought about using that version can't wait to clear the abs one later :wub:

Last edited:
Well just to update the thread and put a closure on it I used

Slip Ring - 1K0 959 653 D

Steering ecu - 8P0 953 549 E

Coded my cruse control and mfsw in done basic settings on steering angle sensor steering limit settings on steering angle sensor and abs function test and I now have no fault codes or lights at all and it works perfectly

Good result thanks for the help hope this post helps others