Cracked head or Turbo replacement???

shino88

Reaction score
Hello Members,

Hoping someone can help advise me to this problem, I am getting a lot of white smoke coming out of my exhaust and back of engine bay where Turbo is located.

Only once the car is up to operating temp and under load does the smoke appear, I still have boost though and car is not running rough or misfiring and has a good idle. Did a vagcom scan and only had code 17963 'charge pressure maximum limit exceeded' which I cleared and has not returned, although I am not using the car as much due to these problems.

Did the n245 bypass and changed a lot of hoses to silicone because I thought maybe the white smoke was excess oil residue being burnt off, the only hose I haven't changed is the Y shaped hose connecting inlet to Hockey Puck to TIP. The hose is all weak and soft and with many kinks but would this cause so much smoke???? am just waiting for a catchcan to do pcv delete. Do I block off the connection to the TIP?

Some sort of liquid also runs out of the exhaust, when under load, it is not thick as oil would be, and has a clear and water like consistency. Could it be Coolant?? although I have been told it should have a sweet smell if it is coolant being burnt off.

I seem to be using a lot of oil, but no coolant so am hoping its not the head gasket.

Would a Cracked head gasket give off smoke from out of engine bay??? or only out of exhaust??

I just want to make sure I allocate the exact problem.

Anyone help please.

Audi s3 8L BAM

Could possibly be a split cam cover gasket leaking oil on to the exhaust manifold at the back.
I had a similar issue and replaced the gasket which fixed the issue.
That's probably where your oil is going.
Does the smoke smell like burning oil?

can't see oil dripping on the manifold cause the smoke to come out of the exhaust though

Could possibly be a split cam cover gasket leaking oil on to the exhaust manifold at the back.
I had a similar issue and replaced the gasket which fixed the issue.
That's probably where your oil is going.
Does the smoke smell like burning oil?

It does smell like burning oil but I cant see any leaks from engine block, just a rising smoke from back of engine bay when the car is in operating temperature.

so should I replace cam cover gasket just in case?

look for external leaks, weaping oil etc... which may require you to "clean it off" first to be able to see the actual leak.

if coolant in exhaust, it would usually smell sweet as someones said.

oil smoke from engine bay indicates a physical leak... possible from the turbo itself.
check your charge pipes for oil.. oil mist is normal, running oil out of pipes is not

Ok thanks, i will do that today and check where the smoke is emitting from exactly, seems to be back of engine bay near the turbo unit so am guessing if i see smoke appearing from the turbo unit that my turbo is goosed??

most common oil leaks leading to smoke is rocker cover by vvt/tensioner unit, from the half moon. If so the gbox side of the head will be ringing wet with oil, and the oil can creep around the side and rear of the block to the "hot bits" which can result in smoking..

A ****** good clean/pressure wash with some gunk is a usefull start point in this event, so you can find the leak amongst all the wet oil

i see, but would that rocker cover leak also make my exhaust spill out with white smoke?