Strange noise (interior)

Brennan

Former Audi Driver
Reaction score
Every now and again i hear this loud thumping noise coming from inside the centre console. It only happens for a few secs then stops. One day it went on for longer and i had to switch the car off for it to stop.

It usually occurs when the car makes that electric hum noise from the centre console, im familiar with this, my 07 BMW used to do it too. Think its some of the electrics resetting themselves.

Really dont know what this thump noise is though

I can't help you with this but would be interested to see/hear a video of it doing it.

Yet again, I also have a sound like this. Sounds like someone knocking behind the centre console. Usually does it when I turn the car on

Orange225 what sort of car do you have and what year?

It was doing it today again, thumping noises in behind the console. Really dont know what this is, and its beginning to grate on me. :motz:

I can hear what sounds like the MMI hard drive working away in the dash when parked up, maybe yours is getting noisy?

Or maybe it's a flap in the heater system that's stiff causing the actuator to jump teeth when it tries to move it?

So it was doing it flat out tonight, whether or not the heater/AC was on. Sounds like its trying to open vents or something inside the console but its getting stuck and making the thumping noise..

I really need to get to the bottom of this, its absolutely driving me up the walls!! :banghead::motz::banghead:

This is what im dealing with on a daily basis.

Does it at random times whether or not the heater/AC is on.

[video]http://vid31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/azza-01/thud1_zpsfaebae17.mp4[/video]

Some possible info for you here, read the whole thread though and see if it's the problem that you have.

certainly sounds like it could be the problem mate but i've got no issues with how the heater or AC work, they both are working fine, its just the loud clicking noise that is the issue.