Parking sensor fault

Tank.

Reaction score
After a little advice, if possible. ive got an intermittent parking sensor fault.

sometimes parking assist wont even come on due to the fault. Sometimes it does come on but rear centre right and outer right sensors dont give any warning.

after plugging into vagcom there was a fault present, i think it was short to ground although maybe that was a guess

after reading measuring blocks all sensors were showing voltages but the two suspect ones didnt recognise distance, they were also not making the sonar clicking like the other two functioning ones were.

does this sound like faulty sensors?
only really happened since its been raining

and any links to decent replacements?

Yea the novelty has worn off pretty quick and i now realise that I'll just have to put up with this for a while.

One of these situations where if you couldn't laugh youd cry.
Kind of need a proper diagnosis as warranty will cover sensors but not wiring. Although the fault suggested wiring the values on the sensors suggest otherwise.

Did i mention the rims are leaking air too due to a bad refurb which I'll have to fork out to get done again.

Main mistake of this was paying it all cash and not putting any on credit. But thats a lesson learned i guess

Have a ebay search for 7H0 919 275 E , I got a set of 4 new ones from ebay de for about £40 unpainted, sprayed at home. My car originally had mix of A and D ones and they all went over the first year of ownership. The E's have now been in there for over a couple years now.

No clicking sound from sensor does mean fault with them as long as wiring is fine, the wires are very thin and some have had faults with them, split/break where enter back of plug.

When my sensors went faulty 1st time I'd just get long beep to denote fault, 2nd time they would function at times and not other times.

Spot on thank you!
Would two working on the bumper suggest that if theres a wiring fault it would be at the bumper and not further up the chain?

Next issue will be removing the rear bumper, dont think its ever been off, the centre torx screw is well rusted so I'll possibly need to order replacement screws too.

Someone mentioned to me that VAG use an awkward T27 size, is this correct for the rear bumper?

You could remove a sensor and move it to another position if it works in new position then wiring fault if not then sensor fault.

The senors just push out from front to back, I never removed my bumper cover as the lower section/diffuser is removal on mine, view item 2 in this image Link:- Bumper rear. Fits: 2010 Audi A6 | Jim Ellis Audi Parts

Some vehicles the lower section diffuser does not remove.

In this link you can see the parking aid system, Link:- Control unit for park assist parking assist single parts parking assist *determination of installed *part number only possible *by reading out with vag *tester 2 doors 2+4 door. Fits: 2010 Audi A6 | Jim Ellis Audi Parts

Cant really see how else i can get my hand in to the sensors without dropping the bumper, maybe I'm being stupid

But defo will try switching positions of the sensors

Going by that diagram, it would suggest i could replace the rear loom without having to replace any of the other stuff

Cant really see how else i can get my hand in to the sensors without dropping the bumper, maybe I'm being stupid

See if you can remove the diffuser, as said in my last post.

Rear diffuser removal 1

Rear diffuser removal 2

Going by that diagram, it would suggest i could replace the rear loom without having to replace any of the other stuff

Yes, try a search on ebay uk/de can be had cheaply if you need, saloon P/N: 4F0 971 085 , avant P/N: 4F9 971 085

Aah pardon my ignorance!

Thanks will give that a shot, as previously mentioned I'll need to probably replace the screws as they look a bit rusted

If you drop the tail pipe off their mountings you should be able to get over them to get at the sensors.......still a bit fiddly to remove one handed but i've managed in the past.

Buy genuine sensors only, the cheap copies can have a different range and don't beep until your a couple of feet from an object. If you have optical display the differences between genuine and copies can be clearly seen.

So the 4 for £40 above from German ebay aren't likely to be genuine?

Thanks for all the help folks, really brightened my spirits how helpful folk are :)

Maybe I'll get to the stage when theres no niggly problems

I find it amusing that each time the car is scanned its thrown up new faults and never shown up the previous ones

Yes they were genuine and new.

At times on ebay there are business sellers selling surplus stock, etc.

There are also Audi dealers selling on ebay. I have bought parts from Belfast/Cardiff main audi dealers via ebay for cheaper than if I rang them direct.

hey guys,

i sometimes have intermittent parking problems on my Avant (mainly rear though)... and what's more interesting front ones do work irrespective if rears are okay or not - is this typical behavior?

One other thing i'm a bit suspicions is that they are not genuine Audi (probably have been retrofitted by prev owner)... they do not show up in VCDS scan so no option to 'enable' in MMI High and also i do have a small round switch (1cm diameter) with red LED mounted just below steering wheel column to the right. Is this right or... :)? Any help would be welcomed. Thx

Sounds like an aftermarket setup. If they were genuine factory then you should get the sensors showing up in the display.

Check the retail price of Genuine Audi sensors in this link. The cheapest i've ever seen for ones that I was completely happy that they were in fact genuine were about £35 unpainted.

Hi ya mate :)

I know the retail price, due to age I can't upload actual listing but here's a screenie of seller's account.

PDC

Perhaps I got lucky? but at times genuine parts can be had for low monies.

I have 2 of the sensors left unpainted I'll dig them up and upload video to show they are genuine.

I never said people will find them always at what price I paided but stated price as an example of what they can be had for.

I hope I do not offend you with my post.

All the best
Gup

so managed to get the rear bumper off today which was surprisingly easy,

had a play about with the sensors, changing positions but didnt make much difference, noticed that 3 of the parts part number ended in B and one ended in E,

When i managed to get the system to come on E worked ok and the others didnt,
Seemed a bit unorthodox but threw them inside some thick socks and put them in the tumble drier. the socks came out damp so there were signs of moisture.

plugged them back in and the same E worked and the others didnt, although clicking from all of them which i find strange, i still havent managed to get myself VCDS yet so its maybe a pointless effort without it, to take readings.

I fear it may be the loom thats faulty but after seeing it disappear through a grommet into the bulk head changing the loom seems a bit daunting

Ive come to the conclusion after switching the positions that its the sensors at fault and not wiring,

ive ordered a pair off ebay, but unsure how to paint,

will they need primed or can i paint straight on and laquer?

VAG parts which have a colour suffix GRU denotes primed part. I googled for spray paint guides and just used that info, I got a matched spray can plus laquer.

I placed sensor in a small vice I got with dremel, laid newspaper around floor and wafted the spray can over the sensor building up the paint layer do not hold can at one point and spray as you'll get runs. When I looked at guides I think they suggested not to over paint sensor as too much paint effects their sensing ability.