Leaving car parked up for a year

sliced

Drive safe, stay alive.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am in a situation where I will be leaving my car parked up in a driveway for a year, anything I need to do like remove the battery or something?

edit: Ive read up that i should leave it with a full tank of fuel to prevent the tank from rusting, is that true?

Put it on blocks, leave the handbrake off. Are you unable to run the engine? Shouldn't be left for that long if possible. Don't think the fuel matters too much.

Why not sell it and buy another?

Make sure mice or cats can't enter the car to nest. If that's unavoidable, try and encourage both and they might cancel eachother out.

Reactions: Krony, mitalm, sliced and 1 other person
I have been doing this with old fords for years!! best investment will be a Ctek battery conditioner

Leave connected all year no problem and best of all you can lock the car knowing its safe!

Reactions: sliced and RobbieWebs
Put it on blocks, leave the handbrake off. Are you unable to run the engine? Shouldn't be left for that long if possible. Don't think the fuel matters too much.

Why not sell it and buy another?

The fuel will be rubbish after 6 months I would try and drain it out if you can, will start to eat away at fittings and lines on the car if you leave fuel in the car for that long I suspect and if it does't do that at least it will be unusable in 6 months.

Reactions: sliced
on my bikes I fill with fuel and seafoam this stops the tank from rusting inside out

as above leave it on blacks and whip the wheels off to save the tyres

battery conditioner as above

try to leave a window down a bit to stop it getting mouldy

I'd be looking to sell it for that length of time.

You'll save the insurance over a year. Don't put a cover on unless you've got soft webbed one underneath as the cover will damage the paintwork when it moves when windy.

It would be better if you can get it in a garage. Wheels off etc as others have said.