Upgrading My Stock 16 Inch Alloys A3 Se 2.0 Tdi. Which Ones?

plasma

Reaction score
U currently have the stock 16 inch, 205 tyres. I feel that 205 width tyres are too narrow for a car as heavy as this. Perhaps the 225 tyres will provide more grip and improve handling? Maybe I'm wrong. I stand to be corrected.

Anywho, I'm looking for used 17 inch Audi alloys, preferably with the 225 tyres. Audi have a several designs, both pre-face lift and face lift versions. I have the '06 A3 so I would probably prefer the older designs so it would match my car more appropiately. I have found the following designs that I am interested in:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/audi-a3-alloy-wheels-17-s-line/1077092512
and
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-...stemedm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=adreply

I think I'm more keen on the second link. On first link, the alloys are nice but I believe they are from the 03-05 era. Correct me if I'm wrong but are the second link a newer version of the A3 alloys? Are they genuine A3 alloys used for sport or s-line models? Not sure if I have seen them before...

Also, would I experience a drop in mpg moving from my 16 inch, 205 tyres to 17 inch 225? If so, how much? I'm planning on lowering my car anyway, to give it more of the Sport look rather than SE trim.

Thanks

I'd got for 18" x 8J with ET45 and 22/540/18

Perfect fitment and keep the comfort too...lower 30-40mm on springs and it'll look good too

I just think all that effort for 17" v 16" wheels isn't worth it?

These are Rotors

DSC04359.jpg

An update for everyone:
I purchased a second hand pair of the 18 inch S line alloys with 2 continental tires with 6mm thread and 2 Dunlop tires 5mm thread. Got it all for £250.
I have attached a picture of what the alloys look like.

Any who, my question is how will my ride be, coming from the stock 16 inch alloys/205 wide tires on SE suspension? I bought these not only to improve the look but mainly to provide better grip and traction, preparing for the coming winter.

Will the ride be poor, especially with my SE suspension? Will the car look too high (like a moon buggy) with S line alloys on SE springs?

I am also concerned about how much is expected to drop with the larger 18 inch alloys and 225 wide tires?

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    255.7 KB · Views: 224
Hey, I had 18" alloys on my car for a brief period of time and it defo needs lowered Here is a pic:

Car is also on stock SE suspension..

Ride wasn't actually much different. Felt maybe even better so don't worry about that (in my case)