One Touch Window Issue

Rob C

Audi Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have a 57 S3 3 Door and I’m having issues where my one touch windows stop working and I’m more frequently having to go through the following cycle
  1. Reset the one touch feature by opening the window and holding the switch for 6 seconds and then closing the window and holding for 6 seconds.
  2. After the one touch has been working for what can be a random period of time, I will close the window, it will get to the top but the window motor continues to click like it doesn’t know the window has got to the top. This clicking will continue until I cancel it on the window switch.
  3. The above will continue to happen until one time when I close the window, it will get to the top and then bounce back down roughly 10cm. At this point the one touch feature is still working. I then close the window again and it will bounce back down to 10cm again. At this point the one touch feature will no longer work and I go back to step 1.
This started happening about 1 year ago but was very rare but now it seems to happen most times I use the car. It is a 3 door and happens to both windows but the driver’s side more than the passenger side. I open both windows from the driver’s side but when the one touch stops working it does so for both passenger and drivers side switches.

I have done some research on here but no one seems to have the exact same problem. I found it could potentially be any of the following...
  • Convenience module.
  • Window switch.
  • Window motor.
  • Software upgrade on electric window module?
  • Window rubbers to tight.
  • Upper door frames needs adjusting.
  • Disconnect the battery for 30 min (I have done this but did not work).
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this or where the best place to start would be?

Thanks

Reactions: S3Alex
Mine too. In fact it happened just this morning. Up....down....up.....down. Reset and ok (for now).
Will also be keeping an eye on your thread.

Aside from the position reset (one continuous press down hold, hear the motor change <3sec for me, then straight to up and hold until tone/clicking heard).
They are meant to discern force, well lubricated rubbers could be something to try.

Is the motion smooth and uniform speed across all the windows aside from the faults you've stated?
This will help implicate a motor, door frame, sticky seals.

Have you ever had problem with water ingress, how do the exterior door seals look?

Best place to start?
Try to use only the passenger switch for a while to see if the fault appears - that would point to faulty drivers switch I guess.
Can you operate global open/close from the key fob? (not sure if this would eliminate the drivers switch module as current may still be running through it, same thoughts RE passenger window operation)
Lube the rubbers (cheap to do)

Failing a competent poster that's all I've got!
Ian

Unfortunately I'm only posting to say I have the same issue with mainly the driver's side window on my Sportback.

Window rolls up & down uniformly and problem happens very sporadically.

Both windows appear to go up and down smoothly so it would appear that the motors are ok and the door seals are not sticky.

The exterior seals all look fine to.

I went to my local Audi dealer today to be told by the most unhelpful service staff that it would have to be booked in for diagnostics at £144 an hour. So I don't think that will be happening. He wouldn't even go ask a technician whether it was something common!

I have the same issue on the passenger side every now and then bouncing back to around 10cm when i 1 touch both windows up and then after i 1 touch the passenger window up on it's own does the same thing once then the 1 touch fails to work after that.

Just an update for those that have said they have the same issue. Mine was fixed by replacing both window motors.

Fingers crossed it hasn't happened since and that was over 2 months ago.

Hope this is of some help to others.

Thanks for the update. What did it cost to get sorted if u don't mind me asking??
Cheers.!!

Off the top of my head I think it was in the region of £170 per motor from Audi.

Mine has kind of fixed itself atm, not done it for a couple of months.

Yeah mine goes weird every couple of months. Fine at the moment tho. God...£170 per motor is expensive, think I'll live with it for now.

Good to learn something new every day....Thanks for the reset info.