Advice Using Castrol Edge 10w 60 On High Milage S3

5w40 should be fine, 10w60 would be way too thick for this country but I am aware there can be regional differences depending on weather conditions and climate so I would suggest just going a grade up from what is the normal spec for your part of the world... if this is 5w30 then use 5w40

<tuffty/>

Personally, having read this thread i think you're all making a ****** great fuss without really knowing why.

Thicker oil is almost always used in high performance engines. it doesn't turn to water at higher temperatures, and will keep oil pressure up on a tired engine.

5w30 is long life stuff, and it's ****** awful for high mileage cars. they will drink it at an alarming rate.

5w40 platinum is better for a higher mileage car.

I run 5w50 in mine, and have found it's definitely better than when on 5w40.

I'm not suggesting we should all swap to 10w60 straight away, but I don't think it's the end of the world as being made out.

Bare in mind, the numbers relate to hot and cold.

if someone were suggesting a 10w40, I don't think anyone would bat an eye lid. but 10w60 and everyone is saying it's too thick.

at cold start, a 10w60 will behave no differently to a 10w40.

I would advise 5w40 platinum in most road cars, it works well.

The 5 or 10 makes no difference in this country as temps do not really get low enough for it to be an issue (viscosity at cold start). As noted the 2nd 40/50/60 relates to viscosity (higher number = thicker at high temps) at a specified temperature (100c is the test temp) and id rather have the 40 bit for a 1.8T or any performance car versus anything lower but would it make the world of difference for everyday driving probably not. Most important is changing it out regularly..

Last edited:
Reactions: Prawn