Help.... [2.0tdi Dsg Intermittently Sluggish]

sabir hadeed

Reaction score
hi guys this is my first post, i have a 2004 audi a3 sportback 2.0 tdi with the semi-auto dsg gearbox. one of the few problems im having at the moment is that the car is very sluggish but this is intermittent other times its fine. any possible known faults?

In addition to my problem stated, I have been told by others it may be the intake manifold flap motor but the price for one of these of around the £200 mark which is pretty steep so attempting to get conformation from others. Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou

You would need to get it scanned to confirm Anti-Shudder Valve (inlet manifold flap motor).

The only way it would be causing it to be sluggish if it was jammed half shut. Jammed open would make no difference to driving and jammed shut would cause the car not to run. So either get it scanned or have a look at the butterfly flap and see what it's doing, this is easiest with a mirror.

Reactions: sabir hadeed
You would need to get it scanned to confirm Anti-Shudder Valve (inlet manifold flap motor).

The only way it would be causing it to be sluggish if it was jammed half shut. Jammed open would make no difference to driving and jammed shut would cause the car not to run. So either get it scanned or have a look at the butterfly flap and see what it's doing, this is easiest with a mirror.
Thanks a lot I'll have a look at that later on today! Would this be the cause of the late start? Because the car had to turn over for about 3-4 seconds before starting with a cough and judder

Sounds like it. If the flap is stuck closed or very nearly closed, it restricts air flow into the engine.

Anti-Shudder Valve... Is this part shaping-up to be the next-generation 'dirty MAF'?

Here's the original one from my car; which was throwing a fault code (and causing a slightly wobblier-than-spec shutdown) because it was sticking open.

20140904 144151

It's not a pretty way to diagnose that part - it'll cause a check engine light on the dash - but you can just unplug the electrical connector to stop it closing; assuming it does open all the way when it gets the chance - as you can see, they're sprung such that they're 'normally' open.

If you unclip and detach the intake pipe [engine off, in case any reader is wondering], with a bit of owl-neck manouvering you should be able to check whether it's fully open - and maybe give it a nudge if it isn't quite.

If that is the problem, you could do worse than check fleabay for a salvage part - of course there's risk that you might get another which hasn't got long left - but I found one for my A6 at something like £70, and it's been working long enough that I consider I've had my money's worth.

This is probably the time to mention the VCDS users map... Depending on how geographically-fortunate you are, there's probably someone [me if you're near Preston] who can give the car a scan to i) check for ASV/intake manifold flap motor faults ii) clear the light if you decide to test by unplugging it.

Linky: VCDS Users

Rob.

Reactions: SmithyAG
Hi, sorry to hijack, I think I sometimes have this again dsg, get the shudder etc and bad starts. Im going to take a look at mine adter reading this, just one thing; Is the anti shudder/intake flap and the throttle body the same thing? Just confused by that?
Tar