185k Miles Thicker Oil Needed?

snipnoob86

Reaction score
Audi A6 3.0tdi saloon, c6 2005 "55"

hi guys, want to change the oil in my car i have noticed there's a ticking sound coming from the engine compartment, i cant quite track it down but its coming from the right side of the engine where the radiator expansion tank is, somewhere in that region. the ticking is quite loud can hear it when pulled up at lights with the window down. it doesn't increase with revs or speed but is constant, any ideas?

back to the thread... with such high mileage i wanted to put some thicker oil into her maybe this will help with the ticking noise too. what should i got for? the standard audi wants me to put in is 5w30 diesel oil i believe. if i want something thicker what would you recommend including brand and semi / fully synthetic.

cheers folks!

Last edited:
pretty sure i have narrowed it down to ticking lifters, im not sure if this issues is going to be a major problem or not i have had some mixed responses from searching the net. Most seem to state that they will be fine in most cases and is normal of high mileage engines apparantly caused by wear and tear + thin oil not coating the lifters enough. going to try some 10w/40 oil in their and see how it goes will post any results after the service is done.

I would stick with 5w30 and fix the engine fault, I've got a 1.9TDI with over 292K miles and my A6 3.0TDI is on 193K miles and both are running fine on 5w30, I think running thicker oil will just mask the fault which may get worse, and could cause other problems as the engine was not designed to run on other oil.

Gotchya, i need to track down some lifters and some time and get the job done as soon as really dont i! Ill scour the net on doing the job and see how nasty its going to be ;)

Cheers m8

I may have to but i payed close attention to it today and i discovered that it did actually increase with speed. And after about 2 1/2 miles the ticking had sropped completely and stayed silent for the rest of the 15mile journey. this leads me to believe it is the lifters but admittedly my mechanical experience is in my opinion good but not a seasoned mechanic. The car drives absolutley spot on all the power is there and the timing chains are quiet but i still havent ruled out a tensioner. I am pretty certain whatever is going on it withing the engine and is disapearing with lubrication. I understand that the oil is probably masking the problem. Im curious to know how much lifers are to replace at a garage or weather i could do them myself. I have experience with stripping inlet manifolds, replacing injectors and other bits on the topside of the engine but not experience with anything below that point.

Are the lifters topside? 3.0tdi pd engine ticking sound happens on the right side near the top.

Thanls guys for the reply. I had a suspension knock recently and took it to a garage for inspection they said there was no problems and everything woild pass an mot. I got home and stuck her on a stands and replaced the front arb bushes and now shes as good as new. Not bad for £7!

Ty for the replies rly appeeciate it any advice you guys give i will make sure to follw through to solve this issue

Sorry for spelling. Butter fingers on the phone :)