2.0 Tfsi Eating Spark Plugs!!!

Spanner 1980

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a problem, I have got a 55 plate 2.0 tfsi Quattro which keeps burning spark plugs numbers 2 and 3 out. It is remapped and decated, I have had the map checked and all is supposed to be ok. Anybody had this problem before?

the standard plugs are heat range 7, so would he not be better off with bkr8eix?

really... mine weren't, mine were 6. Maybe the prev owner was a numpty lol. If you are running heat range 7 and they are failing then yeah go to 8

yeah the standard plugs are PFR7S8EG

the 7 is the heat range, and the 8 is the pre gapped plug gap, 0.8mm

Well I just swapped mine to NGK BKR7EIX irridium. I was having hesitations etc under boost as mine is remapped also, and since putting these irridium plugs in have not had an issue as yet. Mines only stage 1. If yours is any more than that like stage 2 then go colder

Thanks for the all of the replys, i was contemplating selling the car as I could think of no explanation as to why this was happening.

Dont lose hope just yet :p try irridium 7 plugs or try NGK 8 and see what happens then. If that doesnt work there must be underlying issue of some kind

That's the part I'm worried about, where have the tips gone? I really like the car other than this strange problem.

The map will have no effect. I'd be looking at whatever is causing just 2 cylinders to get hot. Assuming you've switched coil packs about to ensure the problem doesn't follow

I have switched for 4 new genuine coil packs. No ideas as to why it's getting hot.

as above these cylinders would seem to be running hot which to me suggests they are running lean,

you can confirm this by chucking in new plugs (again) but pull them after you've run them for 20 miles or so at decent pace, colour and smell of them will let you know,

another way to check is exhaust temps, although very difficult on a turbo car where the manifold is hidden...

Injectors may be a place to look if lean is the conclusion.

Wouldn't have thought you would be needing 8's, unless your on a track. 7's should be fine even on stage 2 +/3.
If it's running lean I would be looking elsewhere. Is it over boosting? Or as above injectors. Think if get it plugged in before you go any further.