Clunking/banging Noise On Idle......

macca-sline

Reaction score
hi all, hoping for some advice/info on this bought my first sportback sline (2litre tdi 170 Quattro, manual) 3 weeks ago, over the last week or so ive noticed the car has been a bit ropey on start-ups and has makes clunkey noises when starting up, when on idle the car is making a constant clunking/knocking noise like relaease bearing type sound but a hell of a lot worse, and am getting shaking/juddering through the car almost like the engine is missing or timing incorrect, the noise is really is horrendous and sounds asif there is something loose knocking around in the geaerbox/clutch housing, really disappointed as the car was sweet as a nut when I viewed it and test drove it buts sods law it always happens after right...... anyway bought the car from a main dealer harratts and it came with a three month warranty, however the salesman said the "warranty wasn't worth the paper its written on" and was trying to get me to buy into a 300quid plus AA one, im guessing for obvious reasons. im no expert on engines and am totally new to the 2litre tdi, but from the sound id says its definantly something relating to the gearbox/drive, however as said im no expert just thinking of obvious causes.... where would I stand with this under warranty are they oblighed to fix it or fob me off as a consumable that needs changing, as I aint accepting that, trading standards will be getting called..... however before we go down that road, is there anything obvious I could check or other faults likely to be....

thanks all, Marc