Any Experience With 'custom Remaps' Or 'remap Science' In Bradford?

Imola-S3

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with this company (both the same company under different names).

Had my S3 remapped here about 4 or 5 months ago... seemed a good price for a full Rolling Road + 'Custom' tune.

Was given a printout showing my HP had gone from 202 up to 243 (on a stock S3 8L 1.8T APY) ... car initially felt 'slightly' improved, but within a few days the car felt different, either hesitant or surges and acceleration feels like its back to standard (or worse!).

I've recently replaced the MAF, N75 Valve, PCV Breather (Hockey Puck), Serviced my 007p DV, fitted new 2.0TFSI Coil packs with new Spark plugs gapped to .9mm... replaced vacuum pipes. Also had new Lambda sensor fitted less than a year ago... All done because I'm not happy with the map from 'Custom Remaps' and I'm going to be taking my car to Nick at R Tech later this month to be put right.

Today I bought a device from a tuning company local to us which is designed for VAG 1.8T cars and plugs into the OBD port and gives live performance stats as well as doing various other things like resetting fault codes etc. I took my car out and gave it some beans but could not make it achieve any more than 208HP.

My Dad also drives a 1.8T S3 with the AMK engine... he had his mapped by a local company to us without a rolling road and he was promised at least 240BHP from his remap. On this little device I bought his car achieves very close to that figure.

I know these plug in devices aren't going to be 100% accurate, but basing the fact that my Dads car is hitting roughly what it should be on a generic remap, and my car is lacking 35HP suggests something's not been done right. As though my car had never been mapped at all (even though I can tell it has because it drives nowhere near as smoothly as it did before the map was performed).

I'm not here at all to bash this company..... I'm just explaining my own personal experiences and stated what I've done to try and remedy it.

I have called them several times, and emailed them but over the phone I get fobbed off (the remapper is never available) and emails get ignored... I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a positive / negative experience with their VAG based car.

Obviously when I go to see Nick at R Tech later this month we'll determine if the mechanicals of my car have a problem (even though it's holding boost fine and has no fault codes whatsoever!) or if it's the ECU file which has been poorly tuned and is the cause of all my issues.

Cheers for your time.

Had you the battery disconnected at any time after the remap and before having problems?

Hi Trev.

Battery has been off several times since having the map done... for instance when having new clutch / flywheel fitted.

Car ran with no issues before having the map done. Apparently achieved 202HP which isn't too far off the standard. But didn't really feel any different after the remap even though the graph figures suggested differently. If anything the car should be running better now due to various sensors / valves being replaced.

Surely having the battery removed shouldn't affect the map. Or am I wrong?

Every map is different mate. But it would certainly be on the top of my list of possible causes. With my revo map you dont loose the map itself but you do loose the settings, when you disconnect the battery. Which really takes the edge off the map. Its possible something similar has happened you, or that you have lost the entire map.

I've found that the car feels like it performs slightly better just after it's had the battery disconnected... feels like it pulls stronger but that feeling gradually decreases the longer the car is driven.

I did disconnect the battery today in order to achieve the 208HP figure on the device I have... I did only hit 198 & 202 HP before I'd disconnected the battery so it suggests that the default values do give slightly better performance and I'm not just a placebo effect I'm experiencing.

Of course this is no excuse for the guys to be ignoring you...

And I totally agree on that. I've just googled them and there appear to be a few people with similar issues, but with that said... there are also plenty of positive reviews... so it's hit and miss.

A mate of mine went and got his A6 2.7T 250bhp car remapped by this company a couple of months ago (against my advice based on my own personal experiences) and he wasn't overly impressed with the difference either but he's not complained of driveability issues like I have with my car.

Remaps I've had on my other cars (2001 A4 1.8T 150hp up to 195hp , 2001 Mondeo 2.5 V6 170hp up to 200hp, Saab 93 Aero 210hp up to 270hp have all shown great differences in driveability after the remap has been performed (even the Naturally aspirated Mondeo).. this map has been the only one I've ever had done where the car has driven worse afterwards, and after seeing what this little gadget is saying my BHP is running at I'm concerned I've been duped of my hard earned.

Obviously I don't want to point the finger and definitively make a statement that it's 100% the fault of this company - because that would be WRONG... but I'm sure after I've been to see Nick at R Tech I'll be able to determine what the situation really is and I'll report back to this thread.

Obviously if a company is supplying a product which isn't what they promise it to be and are offering no after sales support whatsoever they need to be named and shamed and made accountable for the problems their products cause for their customers.

Yeah for defs bud. See how you get on with Nick sure and report back to us!

Had a proper look on the net today, reading up about this company under both names they use...

Based on what I've read, they do no custom mapping whatsoever.
The ECU files they use are most likely the same ones found on them dodgy CDs you can buy along with a cable and some software on eBay which have 1000's of 'pre-tuned' files that could potentially blow your engine.

Myself, like others... have also mentioned that you get kept in the dark with regards to the process of the upgrade. :ninja:

I doubt the Rolling Road printout was legit. You never get to see the PC monitor which the dyno is connected to so you can't verify the power it's hitting when the RR is actually being ran for yourself. You're forced to take their word for it. :angrymod:

Also, like others, if you have a problem you're either ignored or they blame your car. :kissmyrings:

But.. on the bright side, others who have paid for maps here have taken their cars to different, reputable companies and had a new map / dyno and all their problems have been immediately resolved without needing to change anything else.

Here's hoping that's the case for me also. :sos:

They seem to be very hit and miss with their service. Some people have good things to say... perhaps because the files used are tuned better or are for cars which are more mainstream. Nonetheless... no person should go to this company based on the claims they make on their website.

I look forward to the 26th of September when I can finally get to the bottom of all of this.

Who knows, Nick may tell me it was a great remap and my cars a bag of sh!te.

In which case all previous comments will be retracted :whistle2:

I'd love to get my standard map back. At least it was a smooth drive.

Hi guys
I had my audi remap at remap science....
Nod a pleasant experience...
Firstly they dammaged my brother car by driving on to roling rods too fast!
Then they remap my car. modified a3.
27 psi turbo and all necessary mods to achieve about 400 hp but i did not had a forged con rods at the time.
Tuner said that i need to comeback after conrods replacement. So i contacted them again just to find out that roling rods are broken, which is understandable. So we agreed to contact in next 6 months, but now there is no response at all even from his personal phone!
So i paid 300 for remap which has not be finished, and i cant contact them anymore.
Just avoid if you can !

Bit late now but a trip down the road to Stockport and Ricks place at Unicorn motor developments and I am sure you would have had a much better experience. You get a dyno print from an accurate dyno and a remap from somebody who writes the maps himself and knows what he is doing. He has many years experience tuning these engines with all kinds of hardware upgrades.
https://www.facebook.com/UnicornMotorDevelopments/
I am sure Nick R Tec will make a better job of mapping it than it's had at the moment.

Reactions: blackwood
Custom Remaps and remap science are two different company's, I want to remap science for a map on my Bmw 320d, He (Pav) uploads the file and then the guy who ownes custom Remaps writes the file, then Pav downloads it back to your car, He charges £150 for this and no rolling road tune,
On
My Bmw it was crisp and was impressed with the map but noticed massive amounts of smoke coming from the rear, so rang them back to be fobbed off saying the tuner was not there that day, I decided to take a trip down and he was there, so had the file written again, it was better smoke wise but not as much power, but the then has loads of black soot all over the rear end and had to be wiped down once a day, I didn't bother going back there and just put it down to a bad experience, wouldn't go back there again I'd do more research before getting a map now