Advice Needed On Clutch A4 1.8 T

Tony5496

Reaction score
Hi I need some advice on replacing the clutch on my Audi a4 cabriolet 1.8T on a 53 reg I just need to know what I need to get does it come as a clutch kit ? as want to know what to get to do a proper job and change everything that needs to be changed .any help would be Great many thanks

At Audi they always change Clutch and Flywheel as a matter of course you could try GFS for price wont be cheep.

Reactions: Tony5496
Clutch kits usually come with; Pressure plate, friction disc and release bearing.
Flywheels are sold seperatley.
Your car will have a Dual Mass flywheel, when my clutch went on the 1.8t I saw it as an opportunity to get rid of the dual mass flywheel and fit a solid one (the solid ones don't become defective like the DMF's do and also give a more direct feel) - there are many conversion kits on eBay for the 1.8T

FYI If your vehicle is standard spec with little or no performance modification you SHOULD fit original Clutch and DMF.

Solid Mass Flywheels (Single Mass), are designed for applications where the specification has changed, something people dont appreciate is that the DMF is designed for a specific torque tolerance range, and once you break that tolerance range it breaks down. Also if you dont service and maintain your vehicle correctly the DMF is guaranteed break down because it isnt designed to take all the extra torque and power provided by modifications (PD Engines are common for this, due to injector carbon deposit, causing increased vibration damage to the flywheel and ultimately causing the spring-sets to become coil-bound.

Moral of the story:
Single Mass Flywheels are only effective if youre putting alot of additional power through your vehicle. They do however have some nasty side effects because they dont dampen as much tortional vibration as the dual mass (Snapped Crankshafts are very common on SMF).
Dual Mass Flywheels are effective if the vehicle is standard - they will fail due to: Poor driver ability (flooring it when cold, sitting on the clutch at traffic lights, slipping the clutch etc), Poor vehicle maintenance.

Sorry for the verbal vomit, but people need to know the full facts IMO before they end up snapping costly components.

Thanks
Jake (Btw i work for ZF/Sachs).

Hi yes thanks all the only thing I have done is a revo remap so yes am pushing a bit more power through it so what should I be fitting in it ;)

I would suggest a single mass flywheel. The only way your likely to snap a crank on a 1.8t is if you where to push out a lot of power 300bph plus or taking it down the drag strip every day! Even then it would be hard to break one.
The standard engine is pretty robust so I wouldn't worry about breaking anything. A single mass conversion usually will be cheaper as there is less labour needed to put into manufacturing one.

Just as a side question by the sounds of things your taking the clutch/flywheel change on yourself?

Please don't take this the wrong way but from the questions your asking this is your first time? I would suggest to make sure you have someone with experience with you as the gearbox sits under the main part for the car and so taking one out on your own and on axle stands is not an easy task, especially as they are heavy bits of kit.

I don't want to offend but a clutch change for the first time is not always an easy task especially on your own and on your back!

Yes thanks very much for your reply is much appreciated yes I am not going to do the clutch myself it will go to a mechanic to be done .was just wondering what bits I need to get for the job to be done not brave enough to do it as would not know where to start. Do you know if there is anywhere on the forum where I might get to find a mechanic in my area to do the job for me :)