A3 1.8t Quattro 180 Bhp

jonny quest

Reaction score
Hi guys
just recently bought the a3 1.8t quattro 180 bhp version which im thoroughly enjoying lol ;)
But a problem in the acceleration has occured and it wont accelerate smoothly from take off to 3000 revs , only after 3000 revs will the problem sort itself out and be sweet as a nut , its like a delayed acceleration as soon as its past 3000 revs its all good ??? any input you guys have to helping me diagnosing this problem will be very much appreciated cheers guys :)

the first answer you will get from anyone is to scan for fault codes.

Does the car idle okay?

Check the MAF Sensor and Air filter... My car was acting like this recently... turns out my MAF was soiled and also my so called Peformance Air Filter's foam media had inverted itself and was blocking the intake... restricting the air to a 80mm diameter surface area. Not that this will be the case for yourself but a dirty filter might cause a similar problem.

Also.. not related to the same car / engine but I also had a similar issue with a MK4 Golf, which needed new plugs / HT leads... lower revs were poor but once it got into its stride it drove perfectly (and idled fine strangely). Changed these and the car pulled fine through the full rev range.

Change whatever necessary, make sure its running spot on for a few weeks, then get it remapped by someone reputable and you'll have a very fast car that will surprise a lot of people in much more fancy looking cars. Yours should make around 210bhp after a map.. taking it into S3 territory :)