A5 2.7 Tdi

sl89

Reaction score
I'm after any thoughts or comments anyone has on the 2.7 TDI A5. I'm looking at a 2009 S Line version with 44k on the clock - priced £17.5k.

Is there anything in particular I should look out for? Have heard about issues with the gearbox on some models?
Also does anyone on here own one and is able to give me real life MPG figures.

I'm going to be driving about 300 miles a week in it on a windy and hilly A road so don't want to be filling it up every other day.

Any advice or thoughts much appreciated - cheers

To me the 2.7 TDI is a slightly strange choice. It only comes with the Multitronic gearbox which going by previous attempts seems a fatally flawed design. I don't know if they have finally worked the bugs out yet but on past recent history the Multitronic is not a good choice.
Despite only giving away 300cc to the 3.0 it is nearly 50 bhp less 187bhp to 236 bhp. If you look at the official fuel economy figures there is 1-2mpg in it with the 2.7TDI having a slightly lower C02 rating.
The 170bhp 2.0 TDI would be on a similar par to the 2.7 TDI as regards performance and better as regards fuel economy.
I personally would go for a 3.0 TDI, If you must have an auto the S Tronic is a better box and if it is windy and chilly then in the winter the quattro will come in useful . You might have to go for a few more miles on the car or a few less toys to get a car at the same price but I am really happy with mine.

Karl.

I'd agree with desertstorm

Only thing with the 3.0tdi is they are Quattro, which is great, and possibly a good choice if your in the hills, but sups a little more fuel.
I get approx 36mpg from my 3.0tdi and do about the same mileage as your quoting per week, mix of town and motorway miles, and love the car.

you can add 60bhp+ to either engine for around £350 if power was a consideration (i'm off to Revo mine next month)

If you can pay cash and don't mind a private sale, i'm sure you could easily find one within budget, and leave yourself spare for any upgrades.

you can add 60bhp+ to either engine for around £350 if power was a consideration (i'm off to Revo mine next month)
TBH I wouldn't map a 2.7 TDI the multitronic gearbox is a bit fragile already, I believe one of the reasons there is quite an apparent difference in the performace of the 2.7 and 3.0 is due to the torque restriction of the gearbox. Also the 2.7 is FWD only and one of the reasons I have a 3.0 quattro is because my previous 1.9 Passat estate was remapped to 210bhp and it was a handful sometimes trying to use the power.
Thats why the 3.0 is quattro only.

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=232749

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=199870

Karl.

When i said i agreed, I meant to your choices as well mate - 2.0 or 3.0 versions, and wouldn't bother with the 2.7 :encouragement:

Cheers for the replies. a few people have been critical of the 2.7 TDI so it's looking like a 2.0 TDI unless a reasonably priced 3.0 becomes available.....Quite like the look of the black edition models but not sure the extra cost is justifiable when you don't seem to get much for it other than allows, grille.

A lot of prejudice form the 3.0l quattro drivers here, who would not touch one with a bargepole & I agree that the top-of-the-range 3-litre is the one to have.

The Multitronic was introduced in 2001 and the early cars did get a reputation for fragility and slow-witted response when pulling out of a junction. However by 2009 the major problems were ironed out of it.

The 4-cylinder diesel should give around 10 mpg more than a V6 on an A-road journey, but all the 2-wheel-drive automatics will also be Multitronic. The S-tronic is only available with 4-wheel drive on the 2-litre..

Both V6's are more more refined that the 4-cylinder.

If I was buying a Multitronic, I would buy from an Audi dealer and consider a warranty - exactly what I did when buying an S-Tronic. Even the S-Tronic plays up if it not serviced on time.

My wife was grateful for the warranty when she had £1000 worth of parts on her VW Jetta with S-Tronic at this years service.