2.0tdi 170 limp mode! Aaarrgggghhhhhhhhhh

SinghB7

Reaction score
Recently my A4 has been going into limp mode when I floor it on the motorway, glow plug light will flash and will lose power, also once or twice engine light has come on too.

Ive cleaned out all the intake and the egr valve, is there any other things it could be?

Had diagnostics computer plugged in but weirdly no codes came up!

Helppppp

I've had similar symptoms from a failing DPF pressure sensor although that did throw the dpf light too...

assuming the reader you used is one of the generic ones? to get to the bottom of this I suspect you'll need VCDS to be in with a shout of figuring this one out....

or carry your reader about with you as soon as the light comes on read the code, good luck :)

Reactions: SinghB7
I used my mates latest snap on diagnostics, its limp mode permanent now. Plugged it in and threw up these codes:

1) 05214 - p145e - mass air flow during regeneration too low, short with power, intermittent

2) 00665 - p0299 - boost pressure regulation control range not reached, short with power, intermittent

3) 08194 - p2002 - particulate trap bank 1: efficiency below threshold , short with power, intermittent

4) 08194 - p2002 - particulate trap bank 1: efficiency below threshold , short with power

Tried to do dpf regen 3 times now on motorway and it wont clear dpf light of the dash.

Really confusing now could it be dpf is completey blocked?

Yes, that could mean the DPF if completely blocked.

I had similar problems with my 170 A4. Glow plug light flashing, loss of power, and eventually DPF light.

I would advise on getting the DPF removed and the EGR blanking plate fitted. I know of 1 car enthusiast who offers life time guarantee with all DPF/EGR work that is carried out. The work would also consist of remapping your car/updating software, and clearing all engine codes. They are very reasonable priced also and know this work inside out.
It can be a costly fix, but once the DPF is done, you won't ever have any issues with it again.

See Premier Tuning and have a chat with the guys there. (Feedback is all over forums and FB)

I had the DPF removed on my car and have not had any problems since.

*Dont leave it too late - Correct my if I'm wrong, but fully blocked DPF issues can eventually impact upon your turbo, as the soot has nowhere else to go?

Hope this helps.

Reactions: SinghB7
08194 was the code I was getting and it stuck in limp,

I replaced the DPF pressure sensor as these are known to fail, £35 was the cost of the part with a couple of forced regen's got it out of limp on it's own with the DPF light going off after another 5 miles or so....