1.6 TDI Saloon S Line

tinbumtudz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've had my car for about a month now, so I thought I'd just review the first 2000 miles. It took 8 months to arrive, but it was actually worth it.
I went for s line suspension, two people told me it was very hard, theres an awful lot of speculation on here and in the press and I can only think those people cannot have driven a car with s line suspension. It's actually perfectly balanced and quite compliant.
I added audi sound system and tech pack and the stereo is superb. I haven't (daren't) turn it up all the way, it's very loud with no distortion and and the sub gives good bass. The ability to have movies in the drive and on the sd card is great for the kids. I haven't had the opportunity arise for me to need to watch a film, but testing them out with that big sound is great. The hd nav is also faultless so far, easy to use, stores addresses in my contacts, doesn't lose gps position or need mobile network, so much better than stand alone solution (its much more expensive granted and I also drove an a3 with sd nav and that was very good as well).
The interior light pack looks great in the dark, I kind of regret not ticking mono pur, but I blame audi's rubbish brochure for not showing it properly.
The overall quality of everything is excellent, everything is damped, the sound proofing is good and everything just works well. The auto boot release is a favourite, along with the light show when I unlock the car in the dark.
Standard cruise control took a bit of getting used to especially the way you can change gear and set speed ahead of time but it's really useful for getting on motorways and getting through variable speed limit zones.
The best bit though is the engine. I'd come out of a 170bhp pd tdi and I was quite hesitant about the loss of power. Yes, it's slower, but honestly in dynamic mode it accelerates quickly enough, so I use dynamic modes for smaller roads and accelerating up to cruising speeds on major roads, then switch to eco. I might try auto for a bit and see what that's like.
Anyway, economy wise, over 2000 miles, my long term average is now 65.5 mpg and increasing. I managed 80 mpg on a long run this week.

Bad points. Well, there's no foot rest on the right hand side so I have to either rest my foot flat on the floor or on the accelerator. There's no lumbar support, which hasn't caused me a problem but I'd expect it to be there. Lastly, the car seems to tell me I need a rest when I'm really close to my destination. You'd think that the mmi might realise that and not put it up?. Oh and the continentals grip like mad, but they are noisy.

Lots of people who see it all comment on how good it looks and it really does, to me it doesn't look like an a3, more of a minaturised a6 crossed with an a5 (somebody actually told me that and I agree).

Very pleased with it so far.

Reactions: Ceho
Hi Everyone,

I've had my car for about a month now, so I thought I'd just review the first 2000 miles. It took 8 months to arrive, but it was actually worth it.
I went for s line suspension, two people told me it was very hard, theres an awful lot of speculation on here and in the press and I can only think those people cannot have driven a car with s line suspension. It's actually perfectly balanced and quite compliant.
I added audi sound system and tech pack and the stereo is superb. I haven't (daren't) turn it up all the way, it's very loud with no distortion and and the sub gives good bass. The ability to have movies in the drive and on the sd card is great for the kids. I haven't had the opportunity arise for me to need to watch a film, but testing them out with that big sound is great. The hd nav is also faultless so far, easy to use, stores addresses in my contacts, doesn't lose gps position or need mobile network, so much better than stand alone solution (its much more expensive granted and I also drove an a3 with sd nav and that was very good as well).
The interior light pack looks great in the dark, I kind of regret not ticking mono pur, but I blame audi's rubbish brochure for not showing it properly.
The overall quality of everything is excellent, everything is damped, the sound proofing is good and everything just works well. The auto boot release is a favourite, along with the light show when I unlock the car in the dark.
Standard cruise control took a bit of getting used to especially the way you can change gear and set speed ahead of time but it's really useful for getting on motorways and getting through variable speed limit zones.
The best bit though is the engine. I'd come out of a 170bhp pd tdi and I was quite hesitant about the loss of power. Yes, it's slower, but honestly in dynamic mode it accelerates quickly enough, so I use dynamic modes for smaller roads and accelerating up to cruising speeds on major roads, then switch to eco. I might try auto for a bit and see what that's like.
Anyway, economy wise, over 2000 miles, my long term average is now 65.5 mpg and increasing. I managed 80 mpg on a long run this week.

Bad points. Well, there's no foot rest on the right hand side so I have to either rest my foot flat on the floor or on the accelerator. There's no lumbar support, which hasn't caused me a problem but I'd expect it to be there. Lastly, the car seems to tell me I need a rest when I'm really close to my destination. You'd think that the mmi might realise that and not put it up?. Oh and the continentals grip like mad, but they are noisy.

Lots of people who see it all comment on how good it looks and it really does, to me it doesn't look like an a3, more of a minaturised a6 crossed with an a5 (somebody actually told me that and I agree).

Very pleased with it so far.

Nice write-up. Can you retro-fit the mono.pur?

It's a lease car, so not really. To be honest, I haven't got it, so I won't miss it.