Editing Posts timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

glospete

Reaction score
Why is there a timeout for editing posts - there never was before so why has it become necessary to add this (unwelcome) feature? We often post a response in a thread and maybe when we get home we see that there are some small errors which we'd rather tidy up. But now we can't. I can't see a good reason for the change and perhaps someone can explain.

There was a time limit on editing on the old software, it may have been slightly longer than on the new software. Its always been a function that was in place, if you wish a post edited, any of the moderators will gladly do for you.

Thanks Sandra - I think it must have been considerably longer with the old software though? What is the reasoning behind NOT being able to edit for say 24 hours?

Pete, The reason behind not being able to edit posts after a certain amount of time is that some members were removing knowledge that could have been useful to other members. As i wrote above, any member of the moderation team with edit for you. :) x

Reactions: voorhees
OK I understand. Bit odd that people should do that but there's no accounting for people is there?

Thanks Sandra.

Could we please have the edit time extended ?

It was definitely longer on the old forum software.

Thanks

Reactions: glospete
As above the ability to edit posts is very useful to correct something that has been posted wrongly.
It seems strange that the reason behind not being able to edit posts is that
"some members were removing knowledge that could have been useful to other members"
I am an admin on the UK Passats site and anybody can edit one of their posts at any time even if it was many years old.
And we have never had any issues.

Karl.

It seems strange that the reason behind not being able to edit posts is that
"some members were removing knowledge that could have been useful to other members"
I am an admin on the UK Passats site and anybody can edit one of their posts at any time even if it was many years old.
Karl,we don't just make this stuff up,members set up a rival website and then started deleting posts so the only source was theirs.
Obviously Passat drivers are more easy going

That makes more sense, thanks for explaining that. You are correct about Passat drivers as well.

Karl.

In support of what Sandra says I now remember there was a situation on the TT Forum where one person who'd posted lots if information fell out with someone else and then deleted all the pictures on their posts - and this was a major problem for the Admins to try to recreate.

But as veeeight says, could you extend it - what is the time limit at present?

I believe the present time limit is 30 minutes Pete.

30mins to edit a post is ridiculously

24 hours is fine, like the old forum.
Enough time to edit, add or remove information if you find something out.
But not to long for people to turn in to teenage girls, menstruate, fall out with their BFFs, become petty and then remove that really helpful post that everyone loves.

I hate the time the limit with a passion, it makes editing and constructing a helpful, visually easy to navigate build/project thread a pain but I understand the reasons behind and appreciate the help from the MODs that's willing to edit the posts for us.
I sent them some really long, complicated edits before and they did them. :thumbsup:

I've come up against this before where my OCD has gotten the better of me and I reorganised my photobucket account and obviously broke all the picture links

@Sandra was more than happy to help out though

EDIT: Just tried the @user thing.... cool!! Do you get a notification to say that you've been mentioned Sandra?

No I didn't get notification Alex

I got a notification saying @ScottD3 tagged me. Did you select me from the drop down list of just type my name out?

Do you have to select it from the drop down list that appears after you type "@"? Because I just typed out the @ and then your name Sandra so it may not recognise it that way if I don't click you from the list?

Yes it working now Alex. I was on my phone, lol

Would also like the timeout extending it did used to be around 24 hours on the old forum software.

Sorry everyone but this hasn't changed since the old software and isn't about to change now it was never 24hrs. The indexing and the additional server load is just one of the things that is against this. This limitation has never been a problem. If you wish to have something changed please contact any of the Staff and we will as normal sort things out.

Many thanks

Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.