Crazy DAB problem

Stonefish

Reaction score
Hello,

I am having issues with my DAB where it loses signal. I've checked the antenna amp and cables which seem OK. I suspect the suppressor that connects to the heated rear screen, but don't know what effect it would have. Using the engineering menu->Radio->DAB->QualityInfo section I can see the quality of the radio signal. When I sit in the drivers seat the signal is about 2. If I stick my arm back between the seats it goes to 5. And even stranger if I sit in the back seat it goes up to 6 and finally if I put my hand close to the back screen (but not touching it) the signal goes to a solid 7 which seems to be the max. Crazy or what????

Reactions: V6 Quatt
My dab will not work in certain areas near mine, the signal is quite weak.

It seems like the way the aerial is designed in the A4 isn't great. I've got an A1 as a courtesy car at the moment, and that has the "bee sting" style aerial on the roof, and the reception is noticeably better than my A4. FM radio was poor in my B7 too which had the aerial in the rear screen as well.
Might have to get a wire coat hanger out...:wink:

Do you have phone charger plugged in to one of 12v sockets? I've found that as soon I plug mine in the DAB signal drops very low.

Do you have phone charger plugged in to one of 12v sockets? I've found that as soon I plug mine in the DAB signal drops very low.
I need to test that, as I usually have my phone plugged in to the 12V socket under the centre armrest.

I have to say my DAB is faultless its just a shame that the stations are broadcast in mono, if you guys are having trouble its worth getting it checked out by an auto electrician.

The A4 uses a diversity aerial setup which means there are two seperate aerials, they are located in the rear windows of the Avant, not sure on the saloon, the roof aerial is just for SatNav (sharkfin).

If you have Factory SatNav the B8.5 has a 2nd DAB tuner built in which permanently searches for alternative frequencies of the set station. I am not sure about older systems.

My problem was an after market MMI interface I was using for a reversing camera creating intereference. When I removed it the DAB went back to normal. Dodgy phone chargers can have a similar effect.

The saloon aerial is in the rear screen drivers side. It is horizontal which is good for the Germans as their DAB horizontally polarised but ours (UK) is vertically polarised so not as good.

If you have access to the engineering menu you can enable the quality info check box for DAB and it shows the signal strength of the station you are listening to next to the time in the normal MMI screen. You must leave the engineering menu by pressing SETUP and CAR again not by rebooting the MMI as it will not work.

Reactions: jdp1962
@Stonefish, by "engineering menu", do you mean the hidden green menu? I think I've got that activated; just don't remember how to access it.

Yep green menu. MMI 3G press SETUP and CAR together and hold for 7 to 10 seconds then when you release them you should enter it. MMI 3G+ CAR and MENU buttons.

I've managed to get the DAB signal display activated via the engineering menu. It's showing a 7; is that good?

My DAB reception is still sporadic in its operation

Our old MINI JCW had DAB & I never had a problem with reception issues even with a stubby aerial fitted

So, as reported in an earlier post, I managed yesterday evening to access the green menu and enable the DAB signal quality display without breaking anything. It showed a healthy 7. Contrary to @StuBill's advice, this morning, I had to move it, so was looking forward to observing the display as I made my way to work.

Imagine my disappointment this morning when I fired up, and the signal display didn't come up. When I got to work, I went back into the green menu, and the selection box was unchecked. So, I checked it again, exited the menu, and the signal display was visible again. I can only assume I didn't somehow save the setting.

I'll have to wait until this afternoon when I leave work to see if it's saved it this time. Oh, and when it did come back this morning, it was showing a signal quality of 0. That's right; zero, null, ****** all!

Ever wished you didn't know something?

It needs to be enabled every time the MMI restarts. I tried it today and once enabling it you only need to press one of the MMI buttons like INFO or NAV to exit the green menu leaving it enabled. Took these pictures which might help anyone trying it.

Attachments

• info1.jpg
    info1.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 330
  • info2.jpg
    info2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 202
It needs to be enabled every time the MMI restarts. I tried it today and once enabling it you only need to press one of the MMI buttons like INFO or NAV to exit the green menu leaving it enabled. Took these pictures which might help anyone trying it.
Thanks, @Stonefish, that's what I'm getting.