3.2 rear disks?

R34nel

Reaction score
Hi guys, I hope someone can clear my confusion over this, I've a 2005 a3 3.2 v6 Quattro and I need new rear disks, what size should they be?

You see when I look online I'm faced with a variety of sizes, surely they were all made the same? Why would some models have bigger disks than others (3.2's that is)?

Thanks in advance.

Hi mate. Though I don't know for sure, as I haven't changed them on mine yet, ElsaWin says 304 mm iirc. Take a ruler and roughly measure what's on the car at the moment.

As for your last question, there's an short answer: More powerful cars have bigger disks and callipers, for extra stopping force. (more factors are involved like weight, unsprung mass, etc etc)

Hi mate. Though I don't know for sure, as I haven't changed them on mine yet, ElsaWin says 304 mm iirc. Take a ruler and roughly measure what's on the car at the moment.

As for your last question, there's an short answer: More powerful cars have bigger disks and callipers, for extra stopping force. (more factors are involved like weight, unsprung mass, etc etc)

What I meant was, why would there be varying sizes of disc on an a3 3.2, although I understand why some cars have more powerful setups than others, thanks for the reply however, I did try to measure but it's difficult to do on the car.

What I meant was, why would there be varying sizes of disc on an a3 3.2, although I understand why some cars have more powerful setups than others, thanks for the reply however, I did try to measure but it's difficult to do on the car.
Sorry, misunderstood your question. I think that some of the confusion with the disks is partly due to mk4 R32's, which are same size discs at front, but smaller at back. They always get quoted as being same with a3's which is false.

As mjr901 said 310mm is the correct size, they are fitted now