Do you go for a warranty??

yoopta

Reaction score
Hi,

Recently bought a B8 Avant 2011 with 43K on the clock. Couldn't decide about getting a warranty and in the end have decided not to, though I have a chance to get one still from an online company.

What are you guys thoughts? Big waste of money on the gamble or normally worth it?

If i was to get one then I would probably go for a three year one, and the best quote so far has been about £750. Still, not sure I should be dropping £750 on a just in case!

I never get a warranty

I have had the AA repair thing tho and it pays for quite a few bits and bobs.

I've got a warranty on mine still as it was only 2 years old when I bought it used from a main dealer. Next year once the standard warranty lapses I'll be renewing it each year for the maximum period I can. I've got an S4 B8.5 s-tronic, so basically anything that goes wrong is going to cost a packet. I'd rather pay for 3 years worth of warranty and the claim excess than have to pay the bill on an s-tronic problem alone.

I don't expect anything to go wrong with it, but it's there just in case. It's like no having insurance on your house/contents or car (legality aside) - you insure these things in case the worst happens. You pay each year for something you hope you never have to use :p

Yeah, thats the big gamble, definitely lose £800 in three years or possibly save yourself a lot more. There seem to be a couple of things that commonly go wrong which makes it worth it, but it's hard parting with the cash. Maybe I should just put it all on red and let fate decide!

Will look at AA repair plan though, haven't thought of seeing what they offer. Thanks

if its dealer based then probably but if its after market dont bother as I have just found out for the second time of ever having one. 2 different cars 2 different warranties not worth the paper they were written on in my honest opinion

£750 for three years seems pretty reasonable to me.may I ask which company it is?
I have used warranty direct before and made a claim for over £1200 after first couple of months of policy start date so I defo know they do payout! but like with all things every case and story is different.
I am actually pondering whether or not to get one myself as I have a multi-tronic.. Good to have that safety blanket just incase :)

It's Warranty Direct, the summary is:

Policy Type:5 Star Warranty
Term:36 months
Claim Limit:£7000.00
Vehicle:AUDI
Total Premium:£713.75 inc ipt
Deposit:142.75
Monthly payments:67.06
Installments:9

Not sure what they are like for a company, but this is their top star version so hopefully it includes most things. Maybe it is worth it for peace of mind. Though my last car was a three series BMW and it's still going so strong with 160k+ and the only fault was an easy self help issue (which is apparently common to all 3 series cars).

Forget the after market warranties as they are not worth the paper they are printed on. They hardly ever pay out and look for any old excuse not to pay and will always argue the toss!

Reactions: desertstorm
As above a lot of warranties simply are not worth the paper they are printed on. I believe that some are better than others but as I have never paid for a warranty on any car I have bought I don't know which are supposedly the better ones.