BMW E60 m5 vs Audi s3 sb comparison

Filumo

Reaction score
Tech:
S3 way ahead by a mile but not surprising given the difference in age. Can't think of a single plus point for the BMW apart from the ease of selecting an interest point in nav (eg hospital) on a destination and making it your actual destination - seems harder with the Audi. I had active bolsters in the seats which was fun but frankly a gimmick apart from when they gave you a squeeze when starting the engine ( I.e. ready to play?!)
I had the top audio option but the b&o is better I was a bit frustrated with a less than complete implementation of the rhd version with some controls not relocated. Voice stuff equally bad in both but Audi better in nav as it gives options and asks for line choices. BMW ad audio equaliser and surround sound options which were cool. Mmi better than I drive no question. To change headlights to Lhd on BMW required under bonnet lever fiddle - on Audi done by mmi. I had digital tv but frankly a waste of time
Engine:
E60 has massive rev range but average mpg of 19. Smg ok but Audi stronic is the best! In spite of 11 shift progs available in the m5 only ever used one. Auto was rubbish. Still love the v10 tech though - a great engine never to be repeated. S3 as good performance wise but lacks the engine howl!
Price:
You know the answer

After one week I can't think of any reason to buy even the f10 m5!

Last edited:
I'd probably agree with you about an overall ownership experience, but on a nice dry day I'd far rather get in an E60 M5 than the S3 for an enjoyable drive with a bit of ocassion about it.

Coming from the M5 will be interesting to see how long the S3 keeps you entertained.
After almost a year of ownership it's not a particularly exciting bit of metal.

Why did you get rid of the M5 and how long did you have it?

I had the e60 and the e39 both from new. Both cars made me feel special but the s3 seems to combine everything in a nice small package with the benefit of great economy if you're careful. Im also fed up with being nervous on snow - live all winter in the alps. Maybe being 58 yrs old has an effect?!