Advice: Oil Consumption Issue and large repair bill

darby7

Reaction score
Hi there,

I previously owned a B8 A4 2.0T and recently sold it privately (about 2 months ago). The buyer suddenly contacted me a few weeks ago with a threat to take me to court because of major oil consumption problems with the car. ... The oil consumption was higher than my previous Audis but the car was running fine so I thought little of it. Apparently the problem has now become much worse and the car has failed a recent oil consumption test.

After searching the web, I discovered that this seems to be a known problem with these engines. There's a thread on this forum where A4 2.0T owners discuss the issue. And it also appears Audi UK are aware of it as they have offered some goodwill to the new owner, in terms of a discount on the repair. The bill was £5000 for piston repair but they've now magically reduced it to £1700... which the new owner says she will sue me for.

Has anyone on here had this issue and it's been resolved by Audi UK, in terms of them paying for the full repair? Audi UK won't even talk to me about it as they say I no longer own the car... which I think is poor as I've owned Audi's for twenty years (the first real issue I have, they don't want to know).

If anyone knows anything about this issue, or could offer any suggestions on how I may approach Audi about it, I'd appreciate the advice. I think they should take full responsibility for this.

Many thanks!
Alex

I wouldn't worry about the new owners threat to take you to court, Cars bought privately don't have a warranty unless you are a trader posing as a private seller.
The buyer should have done her homework and she would have soon found out that it's a common issue. When you sold the car did she ask you if the car used oil ? . If so and you replied no then you may fall foul of the requirement that it should be as described. But even then if she has done several thousand miles in it since she bought it the car was not the same as the day she bought it.
If the seller wanted a warranty and more protection she should have bought a car from a dealers and paid the extra.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nirel...you_bought_e/the_car_you_bought_is_faulty.htm

"When you buy a used car from a private seller, you don't have the same rights as you do when buying from a dealer. You have no legal right to expect that the car is of satisfactory quality or fit for its purpose, but there is a requirement that it should be 'as described'."

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nirel...om_a_private_seller_what_you_need_to_know.htm

When I sell a car I do a receipt similar to this

http://www.theaa.com/resources/Documents/pdf/motoring-advice/aa-car-buyers-sellers-contract.pdf

Karl.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotty76
Don't worry Karl is spot on and there is no way that you are liable unless you knowingly mis-represented the car.

You must of known yourself that it had a oil consumption issue, since it was your car?

I had someone try something similar many years ago - he was asserting that a LandRover he'd bought from me had a noisy second gear - which it did actually - I made it very clear he'd had the opportunity to drive it, and I had offered him the opportunity to have it inspected by the AA or a garage prior to purchase. Never heard from him after that. "Buyer beware" is the term - so, as a private seller, unless you mis-represented the car then I'd be surprised if she has a leg to stand on. As suggested though, I always give a "sold as seen - no warranty given or implied" statement on the receipt.

Agree with all that's been said :)

Did she specifically ask about oil consumption? If not then she has no case as you said yourself it had some consumption....but that's normal (unfortunately) with these cars. If she asks again, Refer her to the owners manual and point out where it states oil consumption and tell get that whilst in your ownership it was within the expected tolerance. That and she needs to do her homework :p

Gutted for her though :(